Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Choosing a new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Choosing a new pump

Long time lurker.

You can see my specs in my signature. My primary filter pump died and the spa pump is older than the filter pump and leaks. Both pumps must be at least 20 years old if not older. I am considering replacing both pumps with a single Pentair 3HP Intelliflow VS. I realize that it is over powered for my current situation, but I plan to add SWG, solar panels, and water features in the future with automation for the valves and pump. I currently clean with the side suction manually, but will add a cleaner like the Zodiac MX8 or Hayward XL also. I am also considering a switch to sand or DE for the filter.

All of the plumbing is 2inch schedule 40. I realize that replumbing is required and that does not bother me. I will be installing everything myself.

Energy prices are low in South Florida. I can get the 3HP Intelliflow pump for $900. Would I be better off with a 2 speed pump? If so, which one? If the price difference is negligible, I am inclined to go with the Intelliflow due to its VS and automation capabilities.

Thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    33x16 pool, pour over spa, approx 18K-20k gallons, 1.5 hp x2 pumps that are 20 years old, IG gunnite/plaster, 1 skimmer, 1 side return, 1 drain, located in South Florida, hayward C1200 cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Choosing a new pump

Hi Mike and welcome to TFP.

Lets this to get some answers.

I will give you my opinion on filters... go with DE!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Choosing a new pump

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Hi Mike and welcome to TFP.

Lets this to get some answers.

I will give you my opinion on filters... go with DE!
    Welcome to TFP !!
    Now we're going to start a good debate !! I like my DE also. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Stay with sand!!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for bumping, I'll be sure to ask about filters in the future. but I need to replace my filter soon as a stagnant pool in South Florida with no pump turns green very quickly.
    33x16 pool, pour over spa, approx 18K-20k gallons, 1.5 hp x2 pumps that are 20 years old, IG gunnite/plaster, 1 skimmer, 1 side return, 1 drain, located in South Florida, hayward C1200 cartridge filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Since noone wants to respond i'm going to go with the Intelliflow pump based upon my desired future upgrades and personal research. I can't afford to wait since I need to start turning my pool before it turns green.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP!

Your mind appeared pretty made up, so no point in debating. If you think you need flexibility, then a VS pump is the right choice.

Btw, chlorine prevents algae, not the pump. I went 2 weeks in the AZ summer with no pump by just maintaining proper FC levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!