Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Feeling a little green...

1. Back To Top    #1

Feeling a little green...

Hey gang -

So I have been SLAMing the pool for about 5.5 days and I am feeling a little doubtful that I know what I am doing.

CYA 50
    FC 15 (trying to keep above 20)
    CC 0 (the entire time it has never been higher than .5)
    pH 8.2 (though the FC is so high, I know this is skewed)
    Alk 90
    CH 200

Why would my FC keep dropping? Pool is a bit cloudy (though it seems to cloud whenever I have SLAMmed).
    My ONCL has been btw 1-2ppm

But during the day I lost 6ppm from 10:30 to 5:45.

Also - why would filter sand be ending up on the bottom of the pool?

Thoughts?
    40K gallon IG pool w/ a spa inset; Gunite; in-floor Caretaker system; Triton 2 tr-100 sand filter w/ Vitroclean

2. Back To Top    #2

Feeling a little green...

How often are you testing and redosing to bring your FC back up to 20. ? If you lost 6 ppm from 10:30 to 5:45 that's normal when there's something consuming it along with the sun. That's too long to let it go without testing and bringing the FC level back up. You need to test more often if you can. Shock level and MAINTAIN. the process will go a lot faster the longer the FC remains at shock level. Shoot a little higher. Take it to 22. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Feeling a little green...

Dead algae can look like filter sand. If you sweep it and it desintigrates, its algae.

If its sand, your filter sand may be channeled and need deep cleaning, or also a lateral inside the filter could be damaged.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Feeling a little green...

I bumped up the FC last night to 26, performed ONCL at 11:00pm and 6am with no loss. I am still seeing a CC of .5 - This is unusual for our pool (though I understand it is in the realm of "ok), remind me again what CC means/is?

Thoughts?

Changed out our filter sand yesterday, it has made a huge difference in water "feel", it has felt "sticky" for years! There was 1 bag of pool sand available in our area (we need 12) so we went with the Vitro-clean, fingers crossed.
    40K gallon IG pool w/ a spa inset; Gunite; in-floor Caretaker system; Triton 2 tr-100 sand filter w/ Vitroclean