Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 3 Met O Plus and metal stains

1. Back To Top    #1

3 Met O Plus and metal stains

I've been battling metal staining in my pool for most of this season. Ascorbic Acid in the form of vitamin C works well and so does Citric Acid (Natural Chemistry Stain Free for example) in removing the stains. The local pool store suggested 3-Met-0 Plus by Sani Marc (note 3-Met-0 is a liquid sequestrant, the 3-Met-0 Plus is a powder). The label mentions that it 'contains' Sodium Bisulphate. This video shows it doing an impressive cleaning job - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUClby0bVGU

Does this stuff have any benefit or drawback compared to Ascorbic/Citric Acid? Does it consume chlorine like the Ascorbic/Citric?

Thanks.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner
    Hayward Tri-star VS900 (1.85 HP) pump, Hayward C3030 cartridge filter
    Nine Techno Solis 4x10 solar panels, Jandy LX 250 natural gas heater
    Jandy Aqualink PDA with Sub Panel Power Centre

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 3 Met O Plus and metal stains

Sodium bisulfphate is dry acid so nothing special there -- it just lowers pH. There may be other chemicals in it but I can't find an MSDS so I can't tell you about it.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. I couldn't find an msds either. There must be something else in there then besides the sodium bisulphate. I'm wondering if it's just ascorbic or citric acid (the video looks a lot like what happens when those are added to a stained pool) with the sodium bisulphate to lower Ph to prevent the stains from reappearing.
    16x28 Roman, 55000 litres, salt water, Zodiac Duoclear 130 (mineral cartridge removed!!!), inground, vinyl liner

4. Back To Top    #4

Well I have an msds. Anyone know what this stuff is and any plus or minus compared to ascorbic acid? . Thanks.

Main ingredients are

2,3-didehydro-D-erythro-hexono-1,4-lactone

and

sodium hydrogen sulphate.

5. Back To Top    #5

2,3-didehydro-D-erythro-hexono-1,4-lactone is the mirror isomer of ascorbic acid, and so will do the exact same thing for our purposes.

Sodium hydrogen sulphate is what we call dry acid. It lowers PH with no specific stain removing properties.

Since you are getting less than 100% ascorbic acid, you will need more of this stuff than you would of ascorbic acid.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the reply. I guess they add the sodium hydrogen sulphate to lower the pH and reduce the risk of staining - however, I'm quite happy with my pH level where it is. I wish bulk ascorbic acid was easier to source here in Canada. Do you have any idea why they would use the mirror isomer instead of just using ascorbic acid? Is it cheaper or more effective? I'm not a chemist, so I had to Google mirror isomer...lol.

Also, so many different names and formula for the same thing - I think the 2,3-didehydro-D-erythro-hexono-1,4-lactone is also known as Sodium Erythorbate (mentioned once in an old thread here http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Stain-Removal )

7. Back To Top    #7

It may be cheaper though as far as I can tell ascorbic acid seems less expensive online. And yes you are correct that the chemical is also known as sodium erythorbate.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"