Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free Test Kits?

1. Back To Top    #1

Free Test Kits?

Check this out.

This website seems to be giving away free test kits. They are recommending us to use them to test public pool water before entering.

Has anybody happened to have ordered one. I believe it's just a basic generic OTO & pH.

The facts on the website seem accurate, and the WHOIS for the website's domain is of the American Chemistry Council.

My Aqua Chem basic test kit is still full (only about 8 tests conducted), and I'll be ordering a TF-100 or K-2006 soon (probably the TF-100), so I didn't want to order one and waste the resources. If this is legit, I think it is a great resource. The thing is that people who don't know anything about pools who swim in public pools are probably not going to search anything about a free test kit online to find this...
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Free Test Kits?

To me, the cl reading isn't much good without knowing the CYA level. A 4 or a 5 is acceptable with a lower CYA level, but if the CYA is high, that level would be low and there could be bacteria present. The PH might be good to know because of skin and eye irratation. Just my opinion, fwiw.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Good point, that reminds me that combined chlorine is commonly present in public pools at higher amounts than we would prefer. That means that the potentially OTO test kits can report 5 ppm of FC when it could actually be 4ppm of FC and 1ppm of CC!
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

4. Back To Top    #4

The page before the one to which you linked shows these test kits to be test strips.

I suspect they'll be these:
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

It is a pH and FC test strip. IMO not worth the time to type in the order form.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Pass.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I must have missed that page. Agreed, not worth it, especially since it appears to be giving away a single strip, lol.
    Bobby (my pool)