Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand filter deep clean question

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Sand filter deep clean question

Earlier today I watched the deep clean tutorial and decided it was something I should tackle. My filter is in its second season and I had never done it, only backwashed and rinsed. I didnt think it would take long, as it is only a 14". I was wrong.30 minutes or more wrong.
    30 minutes in I could hear thunder, so I decided I better get everything wrapped up before too long. I reassembled everything easily, backwashed, rinsed and checked for leaks. Good to go. Flow was improved out of the return. I left the filter run, as the storm seemed to be slow in arriving. When I went to turn it off about 20 minutes later, the pressure had risen by about 40%, but the storm was near, and I couldn't do anything about it. I had taken note of the pressure when I first turned it on and it was where it usually sits after a backwash. Should I reopen it when the weather clears and redo the deep clean, or just backwash again? ( the back wash after the cleaning stayed dirty for about 3 minutes before going clean)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand filter deep clean question

Up to you. You probably got a good deal of the gunk out of there, so I'd call it good. Do it once (or twice) a season from here on out and it will go much faster.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Re: Sand filter deep clean question

I was scared to try, until I watched the video, ha ha. My pressure doesn't usually go up much on my pump, that is why I was concerned. I will keep a close eye on it when I run it tomorrow. Looks like an all evening rain/thunder event. Going to be cool weather the next few days
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!