Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool guy, need help with automation

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool guy, need help with automation

I had the installation of an inground pool finish last week, except for all the electrical and natural gas hookups. The pool is 16.5'x35' grecian style with an 8.5' deep end and diving board. We opted for the sand filter and a 200k BTU heater for the pool. Currently the pump and heater is on a pad next to my shed. The pump is running off an extension cord and I need to wire the pump and the heater. I've put a 50amp sub panel in the shed (hooked up through conduit to the main panel in the house).

My electrical inspector told me I need a timer on the pump (apparently required in upstate NY, but I can't find that anywhere in writing). Rather than putting in a simple timer, I'd really love to be able to control/check everything from my phone. I assume this is rather simple since I've seen many companies provide options, but I can't seem to find a "here's the minimal stuff you need and here's what you need to do."

Since I have nothing currently wired, I'm hoping I'm lucky because I haven't really bought anything. I'd like to start from scratch the right way. The simplest most intuitive to use setup and the simplest remote use (hopefully iphone). I've read about intermatic, iaqualink, etc but I haven't seen anything simple. I'd like to be able to control my heater, my pool pump and a set of LED lights. What's the best/simplest route to go, and what do I need?

Thanks for the help and I'll gladly put together pictures from my whole install into a "here's what I did" post if anyone is interested.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new pool guy, need help with automation

Welcome to TFP!

There isn't really anything I would call simple. The midrange and high end automation systems support Internet capability, not the simpler baseline systems.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What is required in a midrange system?

4. Back To Top    #4

I would definitely be interested to see what you did and how you set this system up. Pool automation is fascinating but I feel clueless with it all.
    22,750 gallon in-ground Vinyl Liner (1 main, 2 skimmers, 5 returns) 16x38 from 4' to 9'
    1hp A.O. Smith coupled to Hayward Superpump 52gpm
    300 lb Sta-Rite Crystal-Flo sand filter
    Hayward Comfortzone gas heater
    Manual Pool Vacuum (yes seriously)

5. Back To Top    #5

If you are willing to hobby around : Get a Raspberry Pi and a few Solid State Relais. Wire the relais throught the Raspbbery Pi and your equipment and you will be able to schedule and switch all your stuff with your phone.