new pool guy, need help with automation

Jul 27, 2014
Troy
I had the installation of an inground pool finish last week, except for all the electrical and natural gas hookups. The pool is 16.5'x35' grecian style with an 8.5' deep end and diving board. We opted for the sand filter and a 200k BTU heater for the pool. Currently the pump and heater is on a pad next to my shed. The pump is running off an extension cord and I need to wire the pump and the heater. I've put a 50amp sub panel in the shed (hooked up through conduit to the main panel in the house).

My electrical inspector told me I need a timer on the pump (apparently required in upstate NY, but I can't find that anywhere in writing). Rather than putting in a simple timer, I'd really love to be able to control/check everything from my phone. I assume this is rather simple since I've seen many companies provide options, but I can't seem to find a "here's the minimal stuff you need and here's what you need to do."

Since I have nothing currently wired, I'm hoping I'm lucky because I haven't really bought anything. I'd like to start from scratch the right way. The simplest most intuitive to use setup and the simplest remote use (hopefully iphone). I've read about intermatic, iaqualink, etc but I haven't seen anything simple. I'd like to be able to control my heater, my pool pump and a set of LED lights. What's the best/simplest route to go, and what do I need?

Thanks for the help and I'll gladly put together pictures from my whole install into a "here's what I did" post if anyone is interested.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.