Jul 24, 2014
Navarre, FL
Hello all! Here's my story: I've been using the same pool store for years, and while I've been generally satisfied, something happened recently that led me to this wealth of information. About 2 months ago, my water sample tested at 70ppm for CYA. I was told to drain and refill as much as I could and to turn off my auto chlorinator as the tabs were the source of my stabilizer, and to continue to rid the pool of CYA and bring it down to an acceptable level - 30-50ppm. So after two months of backwash and fill, the clerk told me my CYA hadn't really changed much and the lady waiting behind me said "I've been fighting that for over a year now." At that point I said to myself - there's something not adding up here, and that's how I found TFPC. So, my Taylor K-2006 just came in today (yes - Sunday delivery from USPS!) and while I can honestly say that I'm not very smart on all its functions, I busted it out and did my very first test (so proud ... getting weepy). So, here's my results:
FC - 4.6
pH - 7.6
TA - 70
CH - 210
CYA - 65
So, what should I do next?

Thanks,
Mike

Welcome to TFP!

The main issue is what form of chlorine you use. Chlorine tablets/pucks constantly add more CYA, and eventually it gets too high. Liquid chlorine/bleach doesn't add anything you don't want, so that is what many people here use.

Also, with CYA at 65 you want to keep FC between 5 and 10, and never below 5.

Use the PoolMath application (found under PoolSchool) and input your pools specifics into the various chem levels. Make sure you input how many gallons your pool is at the top, then scroll all the way down to the space asking you how you chlorinate, which pool surface you have and whose levels you want to follow? (suggestion: input "bleach", "vinyl" and "Troublefreepools") Then scroll back up to the individual chemistry levels and you'll see the suggested parameters and goals listed. Type in your "Now" testing numbers, then to the right type in your own target level. I myself tend to go for the median amount. The program will then tell you exactly how much to add to reach your goal. It will also tell you if you're balanced or out of whack.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.