Need to SLAM and don't have accurate CYA level

Maybe they used a shop vac hose to divert water from a return to blast around the light housing ??

That's what I was thinking frog. Do ya mind if I call ya frog !! Lol
You would have to have a return near by. She can try it if there is a return near by.

Personally, if it were my pool I'd have the light taken out. I know joan needs help with that, but I think that's the route to go if there is no return by the light. ?

"Do ya mind if I call ya frog !!" Works for me ;)

Don't worry Joan, no matter what size pool you have or what equipment you're using we're here to help you get it right :razz:

Attachments

• Small pool.jpg
    Small pool.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 75
I'm still keeping it up. Lowest it's been all day has been 10. Most times at 11 or 11.5. Been much better at it today.
For some reason really high for last one tonight. Tested water twice and got FC -15 both times so must be right. Was clear with CC reagent but turned light pink when I sat it down so added my 1 drop.
I got new test powder so it may be better than what I was using from last year? We'll go from here anyway and see what happens in the morning.
Thank you all!

Kiss4afrog, I think I figured out how the poster hooked up a "vacuum line to a return/jet to blast around the light housing".
I was thinking the vacuum hose for vacuuming the pool manually while hooked up to the skimmer.
I think they meant the hose on their pool cleaner like my Polaris! Another well DUH, moment for me.
Using the Polaris fitting for the return and the Polaris hose, the flushing or blasting to the housing could be done!

Might not be a bad idea to do periodically after the light is out and the inside of the niche gets a good cleaning.
I may give this a try tomorrow if time permits.

No pass again on the OCLT but not really surprised. Loss of 3ppm overnight.

Morning FC was 12 with CC-0.5
Last night at 10:40pm - FC-15. Thought it odd that it took about 4-5 hours for the gulp I poured in near the skimmer to show up in test so I had questioned new reagent being a factor.
It is what it is and just going with the numbers while biding my time waiting for James to get here and open up filter and help me get the light out of niche.
James used to work at pool store years ago and does stuff on the side now. He may balk at just cleaning the sand and want to replace it. (pool store attitude remaining in him) Rather than argue I might just do it. It will enable a good look at laterals since there has been a very little bit of sand in pool now and then.
I'm going to be busy today but will keep up the SLAM. I'll come back with update when I actually have something significant.
Thank you all again for sticking with me.
Joan

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not only that, you do impose some risk of breaking a lateral while changing the sand. If you do decide to do it, make sure the filter is filled 1/2 way up with water before adding anything (sand, pea gravel) to it.

IMHO - I would really consider just telling him you are going to change the sand and the next time he's going to be gone for some time, let him know it's changed when he gets back.
My GF is the owner of the pool so all discussion ends with her agreeing to what I suggest or her telling me it's her pool and go to the pool store. Needless to say, I cheat and the pool has been cleaner and easier to maintain than anytime in the previous seven years I've been doing it for her. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do ;) I wouldn't risk breaking something, break my back carting those bags in, vacuuming and scooping out and then carrying away +/- 250 lbs of perfectly good sand especially in your case if it's only a year old. My sand is over seven years old and it must be working well as the water is beautiful.
I'd just do the deep clean. I did my first this year as I had no idea to do it and seeing it has been 7+ years since the sand was replaced stuff was floating up until I gave up and bolted it back together. What I didn't get this year I'll get next year as now I see it's a valuable operation to do yearly.

The only good thing if you do decide to pull the sand is you'll get to inspect the laterals. ;)

Thank you for your input everybody.
I didn't pass the OCLT the past 2 nights but have kept up the SLAM.
FC loss yesterday morning was 3ppm.
This morning FC loss was 2ppm.
I do think a good thing yesterday and day before was my CC hit 0 and has stayed there.
Maybe the hard scrub around the skimmer face plate helped some.

Kiss4afrog- James isn't my hubby. He's a guy who used to work at pool store that closed in town years ago. He does pool work on the side now and has changed out motor, valve and sand for me in the past. Nice guy and reasonably priced. Hubby just wants pool clear without any effort on his part if possible. He's proud of me using the TFP method and my "chemistry set" as he calls the TF-100. He says the pool has never looked better and he's right. Hubby is not one to tackle anything mechanical. I'm the fixer/handyman at the house but some things I realize I can't do mostly because of strength required.

Since James (from the closed pool store) works another job and can't get here for days, I asked my yard guy to help me with the light and open up the filter yesterday!
He readily agreed and thought he could help me with it yesterday but turned out it will be Monday or Tuesday before he can help me. One of his crews called him away with an issue. He also has a pool and does his own maintenance on it so I trust him. Also not the first time I've asked him for some assistance.

Looks like I will continue with SLAM and brushing best I can until I get the light and filter cleaned out. I don't know any other places to look for gunk.
Some time may lapse between tests as work and life must go on but I've done pretty well past several days.

I am anxious to see what is behind the light and also in what condition we find the sand in the filter.

Great big thank you to you all!
Joan
L

I haven't jumped ship on this. Just wanted my supporters to know.
We had a death in the family plus work got busy.
It's been over a week since I posted and help hasn't come to open up filter and get light out yet.
I have kept pool at shock level or very near it pretty well. Lots of bleach jugs for recycle here!
I haven't worried too much about trying to pass the OCLT since it seemed not going to happen until the culprit consuming the Cl was found.

One good constant has been my CC's have remained at 0!

I did a complete set of numbers today and my CYA is down to 25. Checked it twice so I feel this is accurate. I must have lost some in a very short backwash a couple of weeks back when I replaced pressure gauge. I will add some CYA over weekend. Today will adjust shock level for CYA of 25. I will let you know what is found in filter and light niche when I get into. Hopefully with pictures!

You guys are great! I didn't mean to leave you hanging. It's just been really busy.
Hoping you all have a great weekend that is truly blessed!
Joan

11:00 am numbers
pH- 7.5
FC- 6.5
CC- 0
TA- 50
CH- 80
CYA-25

Thank you for your prayers pwrstrk. :(
I agree with you about not raising it over 30. That's where I like it/my pool works best at. The pool calculator said add 3lbs 10oz of CYA to get to 30 from 25 so thought I might add just 3lbs or even a little less.

Shock level of 10 or 12 should be okay I think until I get to my source of demand which I hope is soon.

I just don't want it to get low. It still looks great otherwise. Just knowing something is lurking gets to me as I'm sure you know all too well.

Out to the pool for the weekend maintenance, brush, vacuum and such. Good therapy!

All my best,
Joan

Life gets in the way of everything, even a good SLAM. When you need help all you need to do is post and we will still be here ;)

Surprise today! John came to do the yard and ask if I wanted to open up the filter!
I took a few pics with my phone to show you what it looked like. You will see it looks like grayish brown gravy with pepper flakes and some white flecks.
John didn't like my comparison. Lots of little bugs came out, tiny bits of grass, what looked like tiny leaf particles all bleached out. All very small in this dark water.
I had the hose in it for over an hour and a half, moving it around and also mixing the sand with my hand. When it seemed to run clearer I would mix it more and more came out.
The last picture you can see through it but also still see particles. At this point we covered it back up and backwashed and rinsed. An hour and a half was enough for me. The backwash in the view glass was pretty clear with a some seed like pieces in it. I ran it till there were only a couple in it then rinsed. Thoughts were the sand may just need changing it is so dirty with small debris. Opinions appreciated here.
John also questioned whether I have enough sand in the filter. It's about half way up. He says my gauge is reading to high at 15 too. He says it's due to not enough sand. However, I have seen others on the forum with clean filter pressure at 15. If you would evaluate my situation yet again I will certainly appreciate it!
There is a pic of my arm after being in the sand and water. You can see the particles pretty well. The stuff was sticky. Odd because we don't wear tanning lotion much. The grandkids do wear sunblock of course.
Thank you all for your help!
Joanphoto (4).jpgphoto (5).jpgphoto (6).jpgphoto (7).jpgphoto (8).jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.