Need to SLAM and don't have accurate CYA level

I guess I will...... :)
And I don't have a clue what the pH of lake water and ocean water is but they survived those.

From yours and others posts I've read, FC 10 should be safe to swim so that's what I'll wait for and hope the CC doesn't rise.
I'll jump back on my SLAM when they leave and hopefully do an OCLT tonight.

Thanks Richard and Jeff

I've swum in mine with pH over 7.8 with no ill effect. I try to keep it between 7.5 and 7.8. Let 'em swim.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Kids got to swim. Sun took the FC down & no CC rise.
Results at 1500 - FC - 9.5, CC- 0.5 ( very faint pink but had to add one drop for total clear)
1630 - FC - 8, CC- 0.5 (still very faint pink)
Grandkids gone home, lots of swimming and getting grass and such in grandmas pool! But that's what it's here for :)
Sun gone down and tested again 2000 (8pm) FC - 6, CC - 0.5

I said I would take it up to shock level again after they left. Still thinking of doing that and rechecking one more time this evening and do the OCLT tonight.
Sound good?

I didn't pass my test :(
At 8:00 last night FC - 6, CC - 0.5. I put in bleach at about 8:30 last night for a target of 12.
At 10:00 pm FC - 13.5, CC - 1

This morning 0730 FC - 9.5, CC - 0.5 -1 ( I keep saying this because of the very faint pink after only one drop)
Bleach for target of 12 at 0748
entire pool brushed well, skimmer emptied with small amt. of debris, and 4 long WORMS gotten out that keep falling out of the trees or from somewhere at night!
I also did a double stack on my skimmer basket with sock on the bottom side of the basket on top to help catch fine debris and silt which blows back out through the jets.
I saw this in someone else's post and will find the link to post here because it immediately began to pick up small particles well.

At 1000 - FC - 8, CC - 0.5 (perfectly clear with one drop)
Bleach for target of 12

Two adults, four children bather load for at min. 3 hours surely had affect on numbers. Only one very little one. Others get out to go to bathroom. They did get a little grass in pool and had several floats in.
Another possible factor is, I turn the pump OFF when they are in due to the bottom drain suction, even at 1/4 or 1/2. I know I can just turn the drain off but I have taught them to always swim with pump completely off because of the dangers of that drain. They always remind me to turn it off and also anywhere they go swimming or they won't go into the deep end. Otherwise pump runs 24/7.

I'm SLAMming again and kids wanting to swim again today. I guess I'll kill organisms while I can and start the FC drift for them to swim in a few hours. All pending the CC doesn't rise.
Back out to test water again. If you guys have better ideas I'm open for it.

thanks so much!
Joan

The only improvement on your plan I have to offer is what to do when they're done swimming. Get them to run around the perimeter and create a whirlpool as they get out one by one. You want the water still circling when the pool is vacant. That will concentrate the debris in a nice pile in the middle, to make vacuuming easier.

Debris blowing back in the pool is not a good sign. You may have channeling inside the filter. What happens is the sand gets clumped into clods and the stuff you should be filtering out slips through in the cracks; you have a rock filter. It might be time for a deep cleaning. Scroll through and check out the pictures in this thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you Richard!
Good idea about getting the debris all in a pile. It will save me some work and help to tire them out, especially since they're staying the night tonight!

As for the channeling, I've already been looking at threads about that as well as the possibility of a broken lateral. I realize I don't need to post my concerns about it here and will place them where they need to be on the forum.

1100 numbers FC - 11.5, CC - 0.5 ( was very near clear before that drop!)
Kids will come and it will be two steps forward and two steps back :)

You guys really do take so much stress out of this.
Thanks a million!

Here is the web link for the double stacked skimmer with a skimmer sock or stocking on the top one.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/14593-Love-skimmer-socks/page2

You can scroll down to the bottom of the page and see where "Beez" posted it. Quite ingenious so as not to lose the sock or get debris floating back into pool if you have to shut pump off to empty.

I'm sorry I couldn't figure out how to do a direct/click on link.
You can also just do a search for LOVE SKIMMER SOCKS and go to page 2 if you prefer.

I had grandkids overnight and here all day yesterday so no progress with the SLAM.
I realize I have created my own setback by doing what I have done. ie; letting FC drop so kids can swim and not keeping the FC up to target of 12 for a long enough period to kill CC.
I think I possibly could have gotten to the end of the SLAM by now had I been diligent with it.
Numbers yesterday- 1500- FC - 4.5, CC - 0.5 no bleach added because of kids swimming
1800- FC - 4.0, CC - 0.5 bleach added for target of 12

Today, Friday- 1200- FC - 5.5, CC - 0.5,
pH is 7.2, may or may not be accurate during semi SLAM
CYA tested 30
I added some CYA Sunday so will retest this Sunday to see if all is showing up. Got my CYA standard and got a better handle on my testing technique as to exactly where to stand. My solution was fine and so was my test tube. YAY!!!!!!

Now, what should I do? My CC's are 0.5.
Should I try for the OCLT without adding anymore bleach today?
OR
Should I pick up the SLAM today and do the OCLT tonight? If so how long after adding the last bleach should I test for levels, as long as the sun is off the pool or dark?

I can't win :( But it is a win! Son just called. He and the mommy -to- be wife are on there way from Indiana for the weekend. I'm sure they will swim!
I think my signature needs "TO BE CONTINUED" in it.

Just tell me what to do if you would please.

With great appreciation,
Joan

As I read thru the thread, there were way too many consecutive readings too far below shock level which is extending the process by a lot. As for people coming over and swimming, keep it at SLAM level, it is safe. Letting it drop as much as you did set you back.

All of the CC tests where you describe what happens between .5 and 1 don't matter. If the sample isn't totally clear after one drop... it isn't .5 or below, which is a fail. By the way, .5 isn't an ideal target, it's the max. Ideally it should be at or almost zero, I think that's something you are missing.

I will bet money that you'll again fail the OFCL test. Sorry!

Thank you for your input and clarity hyperionguy. Hope you bet a lot of money because you won the bet! I did fail the OCLT :(. I wasn't too surprised myself.
Same reason you mentioned and I had mentioned that earlier with saying I was taking "two steps forward and two steps back" . Actually, more like, two forward and three back!
I didn't know my SLAM target of 12 was okay to swim in. Great to know! Everywhere I looked on the forum said FC of 10 and of course CC-0.5.

This morning I've kept it at level, emptied little from skimmer and brushed well twice.
0730- FC- 9.5, CC- 0.5
0850- FC- 12., CC- 0.5
1050- FC- 12, CC- 0.5 I did the pool calc for FC of 11.5 anyway and added a little bleach because sun finally came out. It's been cloudy most of morning till this time.
Will keep it up today if at all possible.

I am considering other things hampering completion, in conjunction with not keeping consistent SLAM level. I do have some blow back of debris through my jets. Not a whole lot but it's there. It takes a few hours to accumulate or overnight. I will have to get someone to check the filter for channeling and/or broken lateral. I'm pretty small and don't think that's something I feel comfortable doing. Could the debris being thrown back out be the source even if it's a small amount?
I've scrubbed every gasket and everything I can think of.

Thank you and happy weekend!
Joan

You are OK to swim at any SLAM (shock) FC level if it's the recommended level for your specific CYA level.
I read where someone in this post said it was ok up to 10ppm but that was based on your CYA level at that time. You shouldn't need to let the FC drop to swim, you just need to make sure you aren't over it or over it by much.
You can safely swim at 20ppm FC or 30ppm or .... IF you check the table and that is the SLAM level for your CYA level. - - > http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.