Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand Filter Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand Filter Question

I have a 150lb sand filter. I purchased 3ea 50lb pool filter sand bags from home cheapo (hence 150lbs). I put all three bags in, however the filter is 3/4 full. Does the sand need to be close to the top of the pvc pipe in the filter? Say a few inches from the top? Also, I turned it on for the first time and for roughly a minute sand came out untill it cleared. Is this normal, or is my pump too strong for that size filter?
    27'x27'x4' AGP, 1.5hp motor, 150lb sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand Filter Question

It's normal for it not to come to the top of the filter. There's some turbulence inside. It's also normal for some sand to come out when you first start it. It's best to rinse for a while before filtering with new sand.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Great, thanks for the quick reply!
    27'x27'x4' AGP, 1.5hp motor, 150lb sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

You must backwash not just rinse 3/4 full is correct. backwash then rinse until clear at least 2 times before you use.

happy swims
    Frank
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

A 1.5 h.p pump on a filter that only takes 150 lb of sand sounds too big. A 1.5 h.p pump will usually deliver about 60 to 85 gpm. A filter that takes 150 lb of sand will typically have a design flow rate of about 40 to 45 gpm. What is the flow rate listed on the filter?