Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocking question

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocking question

For my spa, if my CC stay at or below 0.5, do I really need to shock weekly? Is the thought that if you don't shock weekly, the CC will inevitably climb? Right now, my bather load is very low - 2 or 3 uses per week at <15m each (2 people). Also, if I shock it to a high FC and the chlorine demand is low, won't it take days for me to be able to use the spa w/o an undesirable chlorine presence?

I apologize if these are basic questions, I am still trying to get my bearings. One last one - assuming I have stable CH, TA, CYA, and pH levels, is CC really my key indicator for spa water quality?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocking question

No, you do not need to shock weekly, especially if you are using chlorine for your spa.

What method of disinfection are you using? Dichlor-then-bleach? Dichlor-only? Bromine tabs with bromide bank? Nature2 with MPS? Do you have an ozonator?
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

I am using dichlor-then-bleach from Nitro's "How do I use Chlorine in my Spa (or pool)?" No ozonator at present.

4. Back To Top    #4

OK, then you should be in great shape and your CC should remain low though keep in mind that it will be high after you add chlorine right after your soak, but will drop within hours as it oxidizes bather waste. It should be low in time for your next soak.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"