Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
I was searching for a 9" anode for my 6 gallon hot water heater and came across this site that sells solar heaters. Anyone have any experience with these? Was wondering if one $575 product would be adequate for extending season here in Austin. We like 85-86 degree water (which is what it is currently), don't use a cover (kidney shaped pool makes it a pain).

I think that this is a poor choice for Austin TX, most tube style collectors work best when there is a more than 20 degree temperature difference between ambient and desired output temperature. The plain black plastic unglazed collectors get the best performance (both per surface area and per dollar) when there is less than about a 20 degree temperature difference between ambient daytime temperature of the and the desired temperature, in this case your desired temperature is around 85 degrees. So the black plastic style collector will work best down to when you have outdoor daytime temperatures in the mid 60's which for people in our climate (I am a couple of hundred miles or so due east of you) it typically some time in mid to late October. As a general rule on sizing you will need somewhere between 50-75% of the surface area of the pool in solar collector size).

Ike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.