Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Heater

1. Back To Top    #1
    Austin, TX

Solar Heater

I was searching for a 9" anode for my 6 gallon hot water heater and came across this site that sells solar heaters. Anyone have any experience with these? Was wondering if one $575 product would be adequate for extending season here in Austin. We like 85-86 degree water (which is what it is currently), don't use a cover (kidney shaped pool makes it a pain).
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed

2. Back To Top    #2
    Hollidaysburg, PA

Re: Solar Heater

Search here and YouTube you might find that a homemade jobber would do the trick, better and cheaper.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. 24" Hayward Sand Filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Clear solar cover. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Louisiana

Re: Solar Heater

I think that this is a poor choice for Austin TX, most tube style collectors work best when there is a more than 20 degree temperature difference between ambient and desired output temperature. The plain black plastic unglazed collectors get the best performance (both per surface area and per dollar) when there is less than about a 20 degree temperature difference between ambient daytime temperature of the and the desired temperature, in this case your desired temperature is around 85 degrees. So the black plastic style collector will work best down to when you have outdoor daytime temperatures in the mid 60's which for people in our climate (I am a couple of hundred miles or so due east of you) it typically some time in mid to late October. As a general rule on sizing you will need somewhere between 50-75% of the surface area of the pool in solar collector size).

Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~