Getting started with replacing hose with PVC piping

Jul 27, 2014
Warwick/NY
I have 27" above ground round pool that came with the house. I'm using standard pump hose (1-1/2" diameter) to connect from skimmer to the pump. Frequently leaves block skimmer basket and pump pressure causes to pinch white hose so water flow virtually stops :(
I want to replace this part with PVC pipes, but need an advise on what time of connector I need coming from skimmer. Skimmer has regular smooth outlet that fits 1-1/2" hose with a metal clamp.

Welcome brantan007! :wave:

Before we can get into what you need, we need you to finish filling out your signature as outlined here: What we need to know to answer your questions.

Your hoses wouldn't pinch if you kept the skimmer basket cleaner by empting daily, sometime a couple times a day. You will still make the pump work overtime even if you go PVC and not change your cleaning habits on the skimmer basket. You just won't see the PVC pinch shut.

Another thing to consider - tat pump is probably NOT designed to pull a whole lot - the tube is quite slick on the inside; PVC, not so much - replacing a long line of hose with PVC may increase the friction loss to the pump.
I tried replacing the drain hose on a sump pump with 1 1/5 PVC - it didn't work - the pump could push through the hose, but the pipe (same length, same route) was too much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.