Cloudiness in pool after SLAM?

Jul 24, 2014
Hagerstown MD
First time posting here and I need some opinions. I just finished SLAMing and I brought my FC back down to normal level. However, I have a bit of cloudiness. I would love ideas of how to clear this. Here are today's readings from my TF-100 test kit:
FC: 3
CC: 1
TA: 160
PH: 7.5
CH: 100
CYA: 30
Pool Math says my CH is low and to add Calcium Chloride. But everywhere I am reading indicates that a vinyl liner does not require to add CH. I'm confused. Help!

Welcome to the forum. Your CH is just fine. I'd backwash the filter after slam. See the article in Pool School regarding adding DE to a sand filter to help improve fine particle filtration, and run it more than normal to help clear it.

I'm afraid I get to be the one to tell you -- you're not done with the SLAM.

You have cloudy water and your CC is 1. That's two of three tests that haven't passed yet. How many days did it take you, or are you confusing the SLAM process with a pool store "shock"?

If you scroll down to the bottom of poolmath and select the proper parameters in "Suggested Goal Levels" it will no longer autofill the CH value indicating you need to raise it.

Yep your not done with the SLAM. Bring your FC back up to shock level and maintain it till ALL three criteria are met to stop the SLAM.
1 water is crystal clear.
2 CC of 0.5 or less.
3 you can pass the OCLT.
Your sand filter may take a little longer to get to crystal clear so try as woody suggested with adding some DE. That'll help speed the process up. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.