Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudiness in pool after SLAM?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudiness in pool after SLAM?

First time posting here and I need some opinions. I just finished SLAMing and I brought my FC back down to normal level. However, I have a bit of cloudiness. I would love ideas of how to clear this. Here are today's readings from my TF-100 test kit:
    FC: 3
    CC: 1
    TA: 160
    PH: 7.5
    CH: 100
    CYA: 30
    Pool Math says my CH is low and to add Calcium Chloride. But everywhere I am reading indicates that a vinyl liner does not require to add CH. I'm confused. Help!
    18x 36 Outdoor In-Ground Pool (25,000 Gallons), Vinyl, Hayward Sand Filter S-244T, A.O Smith ST1102 Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudiness in pool after SLAM?

Welcome to the forum. Your CH is just fine. I'd backwash the filter after slam. See the article in Pool School regarding adding DE to a sand filter to help improve fine particle filtration, and run it more than normal to help clear it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm afraid I get to be the one to tell you -- you're not done with the SLAM.

You have cloudy water and your CC is 1. That's two of three tests that haven't passed yet. How many days did it take you, or are you confusing the SLAM process with a pool store "shock"?

If you scroll down to the bottom of poolmath and select the proper parameters in "Suggested Goal Levels" it will no longer autofill the CH value indicating you need to raise it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep your not done with the SLAM. Bring your FC back up to shock level and maintain it till ALL three criteria are met to stop the SLAM.
    1 water is crystal clear.
    2 CC of 0.5 or less.
    3 you can pass the OCLT.
    Your sand filter may take a little longer to get to crystal clear so try as woody suggested with adding some DE. That'll help speed the process up. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the responses. Close to being done is not DONE, I suppose. Lesson learned! I will bring up the FC to shock level and make sure I pass all three tests. I will also take the suggestion of adding DE.
    18x 36 Outdoor In-Ground Pool (25,000 Gallons), Vinyl, Hayward Sand Filter S-244T, A.O Smith ST1102 Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Close only counts in hand grenades and horse shoes !! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.