Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yes I overfilled the pool!

1. Back To Top    #1

Yes I overfilled the pool!

So last night I had a few beers and the pool was a little low so I put the hose in and it filled for 6 hours. So this am I woke up and it was almost to the top but it seemed it was draining somewhere like a safety drain. Are there safety drains that keep pools from overflowing or was I just lucky. Maybe I added 5000 gallons. I shocked it this morning but it was still clear. How much will I have lowered CYA. I will just use pucks I guess to bring it back up. This should teach me a lesson!
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

2. Back To Top    #2

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

Re: Yes I overfilled the pool!

Some pools have an overflow drain.
    We advise testing your water before adding anything, including "shock" or pucks.

3. Back To Top    #3

The extra water that came in made the pool sparkle even more. Level wise nothing changed much because I keep my alkalinity within levels. I wonder if the water is softer or if the ph got lowered some? It makes me feel that there are secrets to water chemistry beyond our understanding. Lol usually higher PH makes water look a bit dull, oh well good thing I keep my levels right.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

4. Back To Top    #4

At least I got to EXTREME backwash the filter, lol. I don't think it's ever been backwashes for 15 min. Had he put the extra water to use ...

5. Back To Top    #5

Lol, I just posted this link in another topic, but my pool does not have an overflow drain, so look how full it gets without an overflow drain.

Scroll down to overflow drain in the following link.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...pool-equipment
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

6. Back To Top    #6

I definitely don't have an overflow drain, unless there is another mechanism that I can't see. Maybe I got lucky and something told me to wake up early and check the pool after the rain. Oh yea the thunderstorm added even more water lol.