WHY? are we supposed to put SWCG on pool outlets?

Aug 23, 2011
HI Eh!

After a 16 day vacation (floated a load of Tri-Chlor) I found my pool looking awesome! ... but with 30ppm of chlorine and ridiculous stabilizer levels. Doh!:shock:
(an expensive 20" drain later and things are better....and now it's raining like crazy!)

I've decided I'd like to go with SWCG and make our busy life a bit easier, when it comes to the pool.

So here I am researching and one glaring thing I can't get a logical answer to:

Why must these things be right at the pool outlets?
I'm thinking that I'd rather whack the filter with max %cl and kill any bio in there, and the rest of the %cl can go to work on the pool.

I've got a DE filter. I'm certain if I had/have algae or bio-critter-sludge, that it would be living on my filter media. It's too big to get through, but it's still living there...pooping in my pool. I do see a lot of decomposing bugs in my pump skimmer, so there's something to chew on in there...

I don't have a heater, and would/will totally plumb it separately anyway. (my 1/3hp waterfall pump couldn't handle the heater back pressure...but it hammers big water through a DE for pennies!)

I'm running upwards of 50-60 GPM flow rates so I'm figuring high %cl wouldn't stick around in my filter long enough to hurt it. Besides...Tiger-Flex is no miracle pipe, what's the diff between it seeing high %cl versus a thick, solid filter casing?

I understand the 'buffering' the pool volume offers to quickly disperse the high %cl.

This stuff is a gas and it certainly must need a minimum pipe run after the cell, to recombine. I say put it right before my DE filter and swirl the **** out of it, before running through 10-20 feet of pipe.

What am I missing here?

Is it the risk of cl gas buildup in the cavities? (The Watermaid mentions their gas trap and clever installation to prevent that.). It would suck to get a snoot full of cl gas when I burp my DE... I could see how pipe only, just before jet, would pretty much eliminate that issue.

Last edited:
Ok.... Now I feel *really* dumb.

Never thought about the whole "every-living-thing-on-the-planet-needs-sunlight" rule. ...for the most part anyway...we can ignore the super-bacteria living on a roasting hot sulfur vent, two miles down, on the ocean floor. ...although... they *do* live in water....and my filter is full of water....<gasp>! (;
Oh, I'm ok though.... My pool is fresh water and these bacteria live in salt water.....
Wait...'S'.'W'.c.g. ... There's something about that acronym that's got me thinking.... Oh well, whatever. I'm sure I'll be fine once I get it all setup...

<double giggle>

Seriously though,
Thanks for the head slap.
I've decided to go el-cheapo Intex and just buy a new one every few years. Co-worker swears by it, (3rd year still working) and The Forums do have favorable experiences...
I can afford this experiment and I'm confident I'll be able to get it to baseline me a few ppm of chlorine. I can old-school the infrequent heavy uses...

Thanks,
Eric

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.