Two years ago I bought a used Intex pool with a chlorine generator and sand filter, it's a 5500 gallon pool. All has seemed to be fine until this summer. It started to constantly beep about low salt. I though we had it taken care of by adding more salt. The pump and chlorine generator have been running late at night and we failed to realize the alarm was beeping. This week the pool turned green from the heat we have had along with a lack of chlorine. After some internet research, found that I should check and clean the unit with vinegar. I was able to remove a bunch of white buildup from it. Now the pool reads high chlorine and the generator is not running.
Is my only option to drain the pool and start over? Should I shock the pool to get rid of the green and drop the water some to dilute the salt?