Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody's pool get too HOT to swim in?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does anybody's pool get too HOT to swim in?

I am a new pool owner took so much work to get my backyard all set up for it. Lots of money spent. I'm trying to enjoy it finally had my first dip yesterday but man this thing gets hot fast. It can get in the 100's around here during the day but still we're talking even at night it's almost too hot to enjoy. The more people that are in it the worse it gets. I am wondering if a tarp would help but I really doubt it. I kind of feel like the pool was a big mistake this was the last "problem" I thought I'd run into.
    Intex 15x48 AGP
    Krystal Clear pump 637R
    Krystal Clear SWCG CS8110 EG
    TF-50 on its way

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does anybody's pool get too HOT to swim in?

I think the temp in my pool is pretty close to 90... But I live in AZ... its been 115+
    12k - free form - plaster- Nautilus fns48 DE filter- centurion 1hp (so quiet)- In floor cleaning system with Jandy Caretaker - TF-50 and 5 in 1 test kit, Phoenix, Az

3. Back To Top    #3

JB, you need to run your pump/filter at night and look into a fountain to cool the pool. Search the forum using the search feature at the top right under pool school for Intex fountains and you will come up with a slew of hits!

I'm still trying to get mine to 80. I get close and then the weather plummets!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

This is a problem that I wish I had. Running the pump at night will bring the temp down.
    Sharkline Reprieve 15x52 (3/14). Still using Intex 2650 Sand Filter with Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 3/4 HP pump (6/15). Solar Cover cut into strips for easy removal, (2) 2*10 Space Saver solar panels. Swim Jet HD Robot (by Aquabot) (3/15). Chlorine Liquidator (4 gal). 4 person hot tub. Hard pipe is the way to go for improved flow! Retired Lil Shark (3/15). Starite Max E Therm 333k BTU Propane Heater w/ 24 gal tank (7/15).

5. Back To Top    #5

If money isn't an issue you can buy a heat pump with the chiller feature. Mine has it, but it will never be used where I live!!
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

A tarp as a pool cover will make it worse. A tarp strung up as a sunshade should help some. And then there's the evaporative cooler/ fountain option where you squirt water up into the air and it cools off as some evaporates before it lands in the pool, as the others have mentioned.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Our pool temp had been running in the upper 80's (86-88) since I got it CLEAN and it was actually "ok" because the air temps were in the mid 90's most of the time. Early last week we went thru a cool-down and some rain. After doing some work in the garage and getting hot -n- sticky, I decided to take a dip in the pool ... ummmm, WOW - very invigorating ! I didn't notice it during the cool-down or right before the dip but the water was down to 79!
    approx. 13K, IG, Vinyl, sand filter, 3/4hp pump (single speed?), approx. 5-6yrs old

8. Back To Top    #8

I have been thinking about putting in one of those fountains also. Sometimes we swim with a cold water hose running in the pool.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

A fountain like cooler can help. I have tinkered with several designs over the years (still not done)......but the latest design is pvc screwed into a 1.5" return and split into 2 smaller 3/4 inch pvc pipes that goe up about 2ft each with single sprinkler heads screwed in. Last night the water temp was 90. Ran this all night and water is now 86. I'm sure there are better designs than mine and searching the sight will give lots of ideas.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

10. Back To Top    #10

Air temp here was 100 yesterday- pool was 94! Yikes! Pool gets full sun all day, guess I'll be running the pump at night.
    Finally Done! - 21x34 IG, SWCG, depth - 3.6 - 4.6 - 6.6, Pentair IntelliFlow 3050 vs+svrs, 60 sq ft Pentair DE Filter, 400k BTU Heater, Polaris 280 w/.75 hp booster pump, Pentair EasyTouch wireless, 38 sq ft raised spa, wet edge Barbados quartz finish - ODK w/36 in Napoleon grill

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a 14 x 48" Intex and I have an 11' diameter offset umbrella that I swing over the pool during the day. It helps a lot. I leave it partially over the pool when I swim so that I will have about 2 feet of shade for my shaved head white self to be in. I stand there where I can conveniently reach a 42" table next to the pool where I have my cocktails, remote for bluetooth speakers, and tablet. The tall table has two tall chairs and I swing the umbrella over them when I want to sit there.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...601C/203470116
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by hyperionguy View Post
    I have a 14 x 48" Intex and I have an 11' diameter offset umbrella that I swing over the pool during the day. It helps a lot. I leave it partially over the pool when I swim so that I will have about 2 feet of shade for my shaved head white self to be in. I stand there where I can conveniently reach a 42" table next to the pool where I have my cocktails, remote for bluetooth speakers, and tablet. The tall table has two tall chairs and I swing the umbrella over them when I want to sit there.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...601C/203470116
    That umbrella is a good idea. Sounds like you got a good setup.
    23,000 gal IG Plaster 1989
    Purex Triton FNS Plus DE Filter Model FSNP 60
    1 Hp pump, Polaris 380 w/booster pump
    700 Gal Spa
    Laars Lite Heater T-F 100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm jealous. Im in the same boat as Casey. 79 has been the normal temp of my pool for the past 2 weeks. And its only supposed to hit 69 degrees here today. Lower 70s all week. It'll be the middle of August before I see 83 degree water temps again...
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

14. Back To Top    #14

I am ready to take some of your temp. I swim in 75 - 80 most of the time. For me it's not bad but 85 would be ideal.
    Circa 20,000 gal IGP, 12 years old, Hayward SP2607X10, 1 hp single speed pump, Hayward S244T Sand filter, vinyl liner, using Aquacheck test strips and Taylor K-2006 Test Kit, 1 skimmer, 1 bottom drain, 2 jets (near stairs and on the opposite deep end)

15. Back To Top    #15

We run 90 --- 96 most of the time and we love it especially at night. Our pool is in full sun when water temp drops down in the 80's we don't like it burrrrr.
    24ft x 52in Round AGP Heritage pool Aquamaster 19 in sand filter & 1 hp pump. Clear Solar blanket 12 Mil. TF-100 Test Kit. Pool filled June 3rd 2013 well water.

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter27 View Post
    We run 90 --- 96 most of the time and we love it especially at night. Our pool is in full sun when water temp drops down in the 80's we don't like it burrrrr.
    Me too! I love my solar heat! Can't stand to swim in less than 86 degree water.
    IG Plaster with raised spill-over Spa, ~26,000 gallons, Built 2001
    Cartridge filter
    Solar heated

17. Back To Top    #17

I wish I had that problem. My water is sparkling and inviting but cold!!! My pool hasn't gotten above 83 yet this summer. It's hovering about 77 most of the summer. The weather is great for being outside but not great for being in the pool.
    22k gallons AG 30ft round, Hayward 2 speed 2hp motor, cartridge filter, Aquabot Rover Jr, Sunheater solar heater.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by Jbdawson View Post
    I am a new pool owner took so much work to get my backyard all set up for it. Lots of money spent. I'm trying to enjoy it finally had my first dip yesterday but man this thing gets hot fast. It can get in the 100's around here during the day but still we're talking even at night it's almost too hot to enjoy. The more people that are in it the worse it gets. I am wondering if a tarp would help but I really doubt it. I kind of feel like the pool was a big mistake this was the last "problem" I thought I'd run into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    JB, you need to run your pump/filter at night and look into a fountain to cool the pool. Search the forum using the search feature at the top right under pool school for Intex fountains and you will come up with a slew of hits!

I'm still trying to get mine to 80. I get close and then the weather plummets!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
    I have been thinking about putting in one of those fountains also. Sometimes we swim with a cold water hose running in the pool.
    Guys I live in Bako which has the same weather. My pool gets sun all day long, run the filter and stuff at night. With the weather we have had, my pool is in the low 80's right now.
    Also, just FYI, with the temps of the pools the more chlorine they will use. I am going through about 5 gallons a week of 12.5% with light swimming, heavy swimming can be in the 7-8 range.

19. Back To Top    #19

My pool only gets about 7-8 hr sunlight per day. I lose an hour or so in the morning and again in the afternoon. Apparently those couple hours of shade make a lot of difference. My pool has never been above 92. It finally hit 89 for the first time this year today.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Without my solar panels I don't think my pool would ever break 86
    12' Intex Metal Frame Pool, 1500 gallons, Intex 2800gph Sand filter/pump, AquaPro PRO1100 HP, K-2006 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast