Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy Pool; Please Help!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy Pool; Please Help!!

Please help? 2nd year above ground Saltwater Pool and it keeps getting cloudy. Here is the last 2 tests performed.

7/13/14 7/24/14
    FAC-0 0
    TAC-0.5 0
    Salt - 3600 3900
    CYA - 99 80
    PH - 7 7.2

Everything else is good..

Thank you,
    Shannon Rodgers

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy Pool; Please Help!!

Welcome to TFP!

It is cloudy because you have no chlorine in the water. Take a look at the ABCs of water chemistry in Pool School first.

Likely you need to SLAM the pool and that requires one of the recommended test kits. Those appear to be pool store test results ... can you explain the drop in CYA?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes they are pool store results. The only thing I can figure on the drop is maybe 2 different stores. I will go to the ABSs of water chemistry. Thank you

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Welcome to the forum.

Well, the #1 cause for a cloudy pool is lack of chlorine but that will not cure your pool issues.

You have had NO chlorine for FAR too long. A Pool simply cannot stay clear in those conditions.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. At some point you will have to read and understand that very basic article and that will help you get a fix on why your pool is cloudy.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Can I add chlorine to a saltwater pool??

6. Back To Top    #6

Well that pretty much makes the point on why you need your own test kit ... You need consistent results.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, from what I understand I am going to add 1 gallon of bleach to get chlorine in there quickly because it has been 0 for way to long.

8. Back To Top    #8

Adding the bleach is a stop gap procedure at best. The first thing you should do is order one of the recommended test kits. Don't bother looking for one locally. Almost no stores carry the FAS-DPD kit you need.

While you wait the couple of days for your kit to arrive you need to be reading Pool School. There are a lot of moving parts to pool care, but the nice ting is that once you understand how it all works it is just a few minutes a day to keep a sparkly clear pool.

Once you get your test kit you need to verify your CYA level. At close to 100 you are going to have difficultly clearing the pool. Read about the CYA/chlorine relationship in Pool School.

You will be conducting a SLAM before this is over with.

We want to help you, but you have to understand how it all works. Reading, asking questions and understanding is the key.

If you feel you have to do something add that gallon of bleach every day until you are ready to SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

Adding the bleach is a stop gap procedure at best. The first thing you should do is order one of the recommended test kits. Don't bother looking for one locally. Almost no stores carry the FAS-DPD kit you need.

While you wait the couple of days for your kit to arrive you need to be reading Pool School. There are a lot of moving parts to pool care, but the nice ting is that once you understand how it all works it is just a few minutes a day to keep a sparkly clear pool.

Once you get your test kit you need to verify your CYA level. At close to 100 you are going to have difficultly clearing the pool. Read about the CYA/chlorine relationship in Pool School.

You will be conducting a SLAM before this is over with.

We want to help you, but you have to understand how it all works. Reading, asking questions and understanding is the key.

If you feel you have to do something add that gallon of bleach every day until you are ready to SLAM.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

9. Back To Top    #9

I have a SWG pool and I add liquid chlorine when it is heavy use or hot outside. 0 is a problem on the chlorine. In a saltwater pool 80 CYA is not an issue at all. If you keep at least 5% of that or 4ppm of FC.
    We had cloudiness issues in past and pool store always blamed phosphates. But most here say they don't matter if your cya/FC #'s jive.
    Need more info as well. Gallonage of pool etc.
    I have found it was low cya causing water to not hold chlorine. Yours is fine.
    It may have been phosphates and I do use phosfree as a preventative since we live next to a farm field that tends to deposit large amounts of phosphates in our pool.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois