First ever sand filter deep clean...

pepsiholic

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Fairmont, WV
As most of you know I converted from Baquacil 5 years ago and found this site. Best thing that has ever happened! I never really knew about the maintenance of a sand filter except to hook it up for the season and go. Lately I've caught up on a lot of reading here and read about deep cleaning your sand filter. So I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try.

Ladies, if you don't think you can do this yourself, let me tell you, it is easy peasy! Also let me tell you that if you don't think your sand filter is working THINK AGAIN! I am amazed (or should I say appalled) at what is coming out of my filter. I've been at it about 20 minutes and still going strong, so jut remember to DEEP CLEAN that sand filter !

I was actually surprised at the lack of gunk in my sand filter when I did a deep clean a few weeks ago. I have no idea how old my filter is but it's been over 4 years since I bought my home, pool included. I'm guessing it's at least 10 years old. I did replace the valve and pump. While I had the valve off I decided to pull the sand out to inspect the laterals.

When you pull the sand out, you will end up doing a pseudo-deep clean in the process, so that's probably why you didn't see the vile garbage pouring out the top.

I did do the cleaning before removing the sand because I expected to see a lot of disgusting stuff. I flushed the sand for 5 minutes thoroughly then it was very clean sand. I was worried that there might be channeling, that is why I did it. After a heavy rain I usually backwash until the desired water level. I think this has kept my sand so clean although I don't have heavy traffic in my pool or a lot of debris entering the water. I recently started adding DE to the sand so I may not backwash as often.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.