Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First ever sand filter deep clean...

1. Back To Top    #1

First ever sand filter deep clean...

As most of you know I converted from Baquacil 5 years ago and found this site. Best thing that has ever happened! I never really knew about the maintenance of a sand filter except to hook it up for the season and go. Lately I've caught up on a lot of reading here and read about deep cleaning your sand filter. So I thought, what the heck, I'll give it a try.

Ladies, if you don't think you can do this yourself, let me tell you, it is easy peasy! Also let me tell you that if you don't think your sand filter is working THINK AGAIN! I am amazed (or should I say appalled) at what is coming out of my filter. I've been at it about 20 minutes and still going strong, so jut remember to DEEP CLEAN that sand filter !
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First ever sand filter deep clean...

Gets pretty embarrassing ...doesn't it! Mine will be done yearly now.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine too...lol 30 minutes in to and I stuck my hands in to move around the sand. Bugs, brush bristles and some other "stuff" that I'm not even sure what it was came pouring out...ermygosh, yuck..lol
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Update...One hour in and I think I'm almost done. I had to grab a wooden spoon to help displace the sand a little. My arm are to short to reach to far into the filter, but it seemed to get the job done.
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

I was actually surprised at the lack of gunk in my sand filter when I did a deep clean a few weeks ago. I have no idea how old my filter is but it's been over 4 years since I bought my home, pool included. I'm guessing it's at least 10 years old. I did replace the valve and pump. While I had the valve off I decided to pull the sand out to inspect the laterals.

6. Back To Top    #6

When you pull the sand out, you will end up doing a pseudo-deep clean in the process, so that's probably why you didn't see the vile garbage pouring out the top.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    When you pull the sand out, you will end up doing a pseudo-deep clean in the process, so that's probably why you didn't see the vile garbage pouring out the top.

I did do the cleaning before removing the sand because I expected to see a lot of disgusting stuff. I flushed the sand for 5 minutes thoroughly then it was very clean sand. I was worried that there might be channeling, that is why I did it. After a heavy rain I usually backwash until the desired water level. I think this has kept my sand so clean although I don't have heavy traffic in my pool or a lot of debris entering the water. I recently started adding DE to the sand so I may not backwash as often.

8. Back To Top    #8

We changed our sand at the reccomend of the pool store before we ditched the dodos. Guess it needed it after 3 years anyhow. We will deep clean from now on.
    30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois