Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA way high.

1. Back To Top    #1

TA way high.

My ta tested at 400. Um. I been fighting this year however It has jumped. Whath causes TA to jump like that. My ph did test at 7.5
    18,000g 27' x 52" AG, Proline cartridge filter, 1.5hp pump, ChlorEase CL02 chlorinator
    pool is a transplant from one location to my location and was just put up 4/5/13
    Location : Delaware its on the EAST COAST and yes its a state LOL!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA way high.

Testing error? Wrong sample size/wrong reagent? Static electricity on the tip of the R-009?

Have you added anything out of the ordinary to the pool? Borax, Soda ash, Baking Soda, some all-in-one product?

Has it been creeping up weekly, or just all the sudden?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sudden. I tested twice. Have been using acid alot. Cleaned my swg its working. Altho salt was low.

Im increasing salt but stopped at 3600ppm when I noticed TA was way high. Everything else is in check but TA and salt a bit lower then I had last year
    18,000g 27' x 52" AG, Proline cartridge filter, 1.5hp pump, ChlorEase CL02 chlorinator
    pool is a transplant from one location to my location and was just put up 4/5/13

4. Back To Top    #4

What's the TA in your fill water? Maybe they switched sources?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Didnt think of that. I had over filled pool when was low had to drain some. Now you say that the TA has been high about since then. I will test it tonight if I have time after work.

I still have to drop the level. Thats a LOT of acid to get it down.

6. Back To Top    #6

Be patient...I just went through this with new fill water. Gradually keeping the pH down will also bring the TA in range.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I hit it with acid. Airrated TA on point. Now adjusting ph. Fill water was high TA.

8. Back To Top    #8

Same here...my fill water had a pH OVER 8.8 ! It took aLOT of acid to get things under control.
    12,000 gal. Anthony IG pool; 3 ft. shallow end to 6 ft. deep end; Built 1989; Renovated July 2014 using a 10-part unexposed quartz plaster aggregate of 3 S-grade Blue, 3 S-grade Gray, 2 T-grade Blue, 2 T-grade Gray; Apollo VA-52 DE Filter; Hayward SP-2607X10 Super Pump 1-HP Single Speed; Jandy AE-Ti Heat Pump; Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I had a problem with a pool filled with well water. I had to hit it with 16 gallons of acid to finally break the 400 mark.

10. Back To Top    #10

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, some well water is quite high in Total Alkalinity (TA) and often also in Calcium Hardness (CH).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"