Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcite Saturation Index

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcite Saturation Index

Everything in my pool seems to be adjusted well except I am having a very low CSI reading of -1.23.

Temp- 86
    FC- 5.5
    TC- 6
    PH- 7.5
    TA- 60
    CH- 40
    CYA- 60
    Salt 3400

Please let me know if the CSI is important enough to get in range and how the **** to get it there. Been looking at exisisting posts and can't find the answer.

Thank you All for EVERYTHING on Here.

Sam
    2014, IG 20,000 gl 18x34 Vinyl Liner / Waterfall / SWG / Sand Filter /
    Dolphin M4 Robot / TF-100 Test Kit is used / Beer is consumed /
    *Stamped Concrete Decking*

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcite Saturation Index

You can use Pool Math to see how to get there. Put in higher values of CH and TA and see what you come up with.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just noticed you have a vinyl liner. I see on PoolMath that low CSI doesn't seem to be a problem for vinyl.
    27,500 gallon in ground gunite/plaster (1995). Attached Spa with fountain, spillway, and 2 lion heads streaming into the pool. Hayward pump and AO Smith UST1152 1.5 hp motor (single speed). Hayward 60 sq ft DE Filter (Model DE-6000). Kreepy Krauly cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Low CSI doesn't matter in a vinyl pool. There's no plaster to etch. High CSI could still become a problem, so be grateful you have such soft water!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

In all but the most rare cases, caluolation of CSI is not a mandatory process of teting pool water.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School......read those ranges carefully. Now, stay within the suggested ranges and CSI becomes irrelevant.

Take your regular tests out side the normal parameters and CSI can be very troublesome.

I have never test CSI in 9 years.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School