Need some help...

May 12, 2014
Louisville, KY
Was away for a while (vacation) and came back to an issue. We had a yellowish looking substance collecting on the shady side of the pool between the floor and the wall. It was also in patches on the bottom of the pool. When I brushed it, it just looked like powder and disappeared only to be back in an hour or two. I noticed there was some of it clinging to the walls so I figured it was mustard algae.

I slammed the pool for a day and a half mustard shock level, adding bleach every two hours. The next night it was gone, did an ONLT and did not loose anything.

Yesterday, noticed some stuff on the floor only, more of a grayish color. Vaccumed it out, took out the cartridge filter and cleaned it and did another ONLT last night only loosing 0.2.

This morning, the same stuff is on the floor again. I am going crazy!

We have had problems with pollen all year (live in the country by woods and two fields that are bailed often). I am not sure if it is that, or dead algae that is settling on the floor. Any ideas?

Current #'s:

FC 8.8
CC 0.0
PH 7.7
TA 120
CH 130
CYA 45
ujy5any8.jpg
maju3y3u.jpg

read "SLAM" in the "How To" section up in Pool School. To stop the SLAM, you need.......

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

1. Your pool water has never been clean for any period of time so #1 is a failure.

2. Looks like you passed the CC's test

3. What FC did you start with when you began the OCLT.....what time of day was it?

What FC did you end with when you tested again the next morning. What time of day was it?

I think if you will re-read the SLAM process and follow it to a a T, your water will clear.

That definitely looks like dead algae mich7088.

OK thanks! Apparently I forgot to say the water is completely clear and "sparkling" which it is.

The other thing I was wondering is should I keep it at a higher FC level now that it has had this type of algae to try and make sure it doesn't return? I have it at 6 now.

You never listed a reading for CYA. Won't hurt a thing to hold it a couple points higher above minimum for whatever that number is according to the chlorine/cya chart in pool school.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.