New Pool - Deck Build

What... Is this turning into a code enforcement forum? Technically yes it would need to be inspected. Did I pull a permit... no. So no it will not need to be inspected. The design is structurally sound and safe. The fact is that these are both "temporary" structures.

A lot of places are putting a large emphasis on deck safety and any deck needs to be inspected.

I can understand that as I have seen far too many DIY's as well as shoddy construction outfits do very poor jobs Even though they may technically be up to code I wouldn't get on them.

Last edited:
Lol....yes, we are all code inspectors here at TPF!

Your response to my comment indicates you know what you're doing. Nice attention to detail on your cuts, too. I'm in the middle of building almost the exact same thing (I didn't pull a permit, either....shhhh, don't tell anyone!), so the topic of deck building is constantly on my mind. Can't wait to get mine DONE!

Keep up the good work!

Lol....yes, we are all code inspectors here at TPF!

Your response to my comment indicates you know what you're doing. Nice attention to detail on your cuts, too. I'm in the middle of building almost the exact same thing (I didn't pull a permit, either....shhhh, don't tell anyone!), so the topic of deck building is constantly on my mind. Can't wait to get mine DONE!

Keep up the good work!

Thanks Augie. The funny thing is that I have seen good building inspectors and bad ones. I have had inspectors tell me I need to do things and use specific hardware in applications where the hardware was not even correct for the application.

Where are your pics? Just figures with the weather... I decide to buy a pool and the weather well you know LOL.

What... Is this turning into a code enforcement forum? Technically yes it would need to be inspected. Did I pull a permit... no. So no it will not need to be inspected. The design is structurally sound and safe. The fact is that these are both "temporary" structures.

I can understand that as I have seen far too many DIY's as well as shoddy construction outfits do very poor jobs Even though they may technically be up to code I wouldn't get on them.

No, this is not "turning into code enforcement". It's just that you are posting pictures on a PUBLIC forum and then bragging about not pulling permits or getting inspections.

No, this is not "turning into code enforcement". It's just that you are posting pictures on a PUBLIC forum and then bragging about not pulling permits or getting inspections.

Whoa there Griswald ;).... No one is bragging about anything . As with ANYTHING posted on a "PUBLIC" forum you should take what is said with a grain of salt. I am just sharing my build progress. I am not advising anyone to do anything.

I have most of the decking on now. Moving to the step and rails tomorrow.

uhu4ubus.jpg

rabazesa.jpg

jahu9a4e.jpg

ta3ugeju.jpg

I have an urge to run/sprint across your new deck, and leap into the pool. :p

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, back in the mid-90's I hired a guy to build a deck around my above-ground pool, and unlike yours, he ran the deck boards just underneath the edges of the wall caps, whereas in your case you're abutting it up to the edge (not underneath) and at the same height as the wall caps. Personally, I like your way better.

I have an urge to run/sprint across your new deck, and leap into the pool. :p

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, back in the mid-90's I hired a guy to build a deck around my above-ground pool, and unlike yours, he ran the deck boards just underneath the edges of the wall caps, whereas in your case you're abutting it up to the edge (not underneath) and at the same height as the wall caps. Personally, I like your way better.
Thanks Zindar. This was a bit unique over the traditional segmented top rail. Once I got the first piece set the rest were pretty simple.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks great, nice work!

We were doing the same work today, I laid all my deck boards that didn't need the radius cuts around the pool. My deck is 23'6" x 9' all the way to where the radius cuts start.

Out of curiosity, how did you do yours? I'm thinking I might use cardboard to get the curved cut just right.

Looks great, nice work!

We were doing the same work today, I laid all my deck boards that didn't need the radius cuts around the pool. My deck is 23'6" x 9' all the way to where the radius cuts start.

Out of curiosity, how did you do yours? I'm thinking I might use cardboard to get the curved cut just right.
I grabbed one of the top rails and made a template before the guys installed the pool but you can still do it. Just use cardboard and roughly cut a radius so you can get it somewhat close. Then scribe the cardboard with a small block of wood and a pencil. Use the wood block as a guide holding the pencil on one side and move it along the top rail to get the final shape.

I started with the curve first and went back from there as seen in the pics. Once the first one is done the rest are easy. I left an inch between the structure and the pool to get the winter cover on.

Looks good! :salut: I certainly understand the comments about rain delays and cool weather. LOL Where are the hot August days??

No doubt LOL!!! Evaporation? whats that? i have had to drain water twice.

PPrince ~ I am looking into a heater for our pool for next year similar in size to yours. Curious as to what your annual operational costs are. as best I can figure with an online calculator i got $450 running 8 hours a day for 120 days usng a 10 degree rise.

Great work, looks real nice! I worked on mine Friday night and all day Saturday, but I took yesterday off as I needed to mow (I hadn't mowed in over 2 weeks!) and also do some overdue trimming on my front landscaping. Then we had company for the rest of the day......my kids and their cousins played in the pool most of the afternoon!

Now, back at it this week to finish my decking and railings....

Thanks for the tip on getting the radius' cut, too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.