Help with increasing CH level

cheshirenc

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2014
Outer Banks, NC
First I want to thank everyone for the wealth of information provided on this website.

We installed our pool approximately 8 years ago and until I found this site this year I had never tested chlorine other than the OTO method, did not test for CYA or CH. I have now discovered CH in our pool is very low. Please advise me the best way to raise it without causing cloudiness. The water is so clear and sparkling now. I also think my FC is on the high side. My SWG is set at 40% so I don't know if I need to lower it or cut it off for a period of time, but maybe y'all will tell me it is fine too.

Here is my most current test samples if I need to tweak anything else.

FC 8
CC 0.5
PH (this one is hard because of the color) I believe it is 7.8
TA 80
CH 70 (fiberglass pool)
CYA between 40 and 50 mark
Temp 84 degrees
salt level on SWG 3200

I am testing with Taylor K-2006

Thank you.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, turn down the SWG at least a little. If FC is too high, lower the percentage. If FC is too low, raise the percentage.

We recommend CYA be between 70 and 80 with a SWG.

Calcium can be raised with calcium chloride, sold in pool stores as calcium increaser and sometimes available from hardware stores as an ice melter. Raising CH should not cause any cloudiness, just don't add it all at once, break it up into two or three smaller additions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.