Summer escapes pump

Jul 24, 2014
Atwater, CA
Hello, new to the site & I have a question hopefully someone here can answer or suggestions for me.

We have one of those cheap Summer Escape round storable pools. About 14' across 3' deep. We rent so we can't have a doughboy which we had previously at our old house so I'm somewhat familiar with pools. Anyways, the pump on this SE thing is woefully inadequate & I was wondering if anyone here has ever hooked up a regular pump to one of these storable pool whether it be a Summer Escapes, Intex, etc.? I was hoping to be able to hook up a Hayward type 1 hp or 3/4 hp pump, but I was a little concerned about too much pressure on the liner wall on the water return pipes/hose to the pool.

I don't get enough suction for a vacuum through the skimmer & trying to clean the pool with this garden hose attachment doesn't pickup fine particles. The little pump they provided must be less than a 14 hp (if that, maybe a 1/8 hp?) & barely circulates the water. The kids & I make a quick whirlpool to get the sand/debris to the middle to do what little vacuuming we can with the garden hose attachment that really just picks up the larger pieces & disperses the sand into clouds. Arrgh, really missing our old doughboy!

Thanks for any help you can provide,
MK

Hi, welcome to TFP! Yes, you can connect a standard pool pump and filter to these "seasonal" pools. We have several threads detailing modifications members have made to their Intex style pools. If you use the forum search you can find these threads.

Logscat Welcome to TFP.
I have a 3 year old plain jane Intex Pool, It is heavily "modified". I just tinker til it works. Zea has it right that there are hundreds of threads about ABG (Above Ground Pools). Check them out.

Thanks guys, for the info. I had the doughboy at the other house for years & did modifies to get what I wanted (gate valves, etc.), so things could be cleaned, modified, etc. Already doing the panty hose trick to help with vacuuming with the garden hose attachment. Great information here on the forum about pipe hookups, attachments for the Summer Escapes/Intex pools, but the one thing I can't seem to find out exactly with my forum searches:

Is a 1 HP standard pump too much pressure on the Summer Escapes side wall as the water returns to the pool?

I was thinking with a gate valve I can cut it back a bit when just filtering the water & open it all the way when vacuuming, but with that it might put too much strain on pump or hoses.

Any info would be very helpful. Also, I know on my old setup occasionally the Leslie pool type hoses would get pinches so I was going to spend the extra $ on getting thicker walled spa hoses like this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_54422-104-RSFN_0__?productId=3419576

For added strength. I need about 20 ft so this would be about $50+, but a place called Tractor Supply sells a similar hose in green for $32 for 20 ft.

Thanks again for all the help & info (really glad this site is out there),
MK

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.