Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using different tiles in spillover spa from pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Using different tiles in spillover spa from pool

Looking for anyone thats seen this or opinions on how it would look.

I'm considering using a glass tile in the spa for the waterline, and then having it run down over the spillover, possibly all the way to the the bench we are having built around the spa or at least the bottom of the waterline tile on the pool, but having a different waterline tile in the pool. We are having travertine coping, and a travertine ledger stone on the raised portion of the spa.

I don't know about the pool tile, whether to go with something that will look like the travertine coping or something that will play off the color of the glass tile.

I could use ideas and suggestions really. Do you think it would look weird if the tile was different?

This is my inspiration picture, but they used the same tile on their whole pool and we can't afford to do all glass tile. We'll also use it as our step marker tile too, and I think I figured out it would be about 36sf just for all that, so we have to find one that isn't too expensive too. I've really only seen that one picture with this kind of idea, and I've been trawling the inter webs looking for more, to no avail. So I thought I'd reach out and ask for opinions instead.

Eva.
    We are building a 14x28 in ground with a spillover spa...
    All Pentair Equipment, 3HP VS pump, Sand Filter, 250K BTU gas heater, 2HP blower.
    Easytouch 4. Pentair Racer Cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Using different tiles in spillover spa from pool

That is what I am doing. The glass tile install is tomorrow. I have a 1x1 glass for the spa spillway, spa face, and spa waterline. It will also be the step liner (about 65 linear ft). The only difference is I will be doing the entire spa face, not just the spillway and down from there.

The pool waterline is a 6x6 porcelain with some blue and tan to match the impending deck color. The outside of the raised spa will be a stacked stone. I'll post some pics when they install, that might help you get an idea
    IG gunite 32 x 18 on a bachelor budget! Click Here To See

3. Back To Top    #3

Oooh, I'll be watching for pictures Bulldogz, I can't wait to see how that turns out!
    Eva.
    We are building a 14x28 in ground with a spillover spa...
    All Pentair Equipment, 3HP VS pump, Sand Filter, 250K BTU gas heater, 2HP blower.
    Easytouch 4. Pentair Racer Cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

This is what we're doing. It's not what we originally had planned but this is what we ended up with. I think anything goes as long as you like it. I like your inspiration photo and I think as long as your waterline tile in the pool is something that blends in with the coping it will look good.
    If you're like me, making the decision is the hardest part! Good luck!

pic 12A.jpg
    Shotcrete IG, 880 sq. ft., 32,000 gallons,, 3.5 - 5.5 deep, SWG, Jandy 140000 Heat Pump, 1 1/2 HP Jandy, 36 sq. ft. DE Jandy filter with an attached spa

5. Back To Top    #5

That is what I wanted to do with ours as well, but my husband vetoed me as he wanted the stone spillover (more rustic). However, I do get to use the glass tiles somewhere in the backsplash areas of the outdoor kitchen (we'll see ). I am really looking forward to seeing how yours comes out, which I think with the travertine will look awesome. I am sure you looked on Houzz - but I saw a few photos there too (after combing through thousands)

Karen
    New in 2017, will update