Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vinyl liner leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Charlotte nc

Vinyl liner leak

Hi All- been reading TFP for awhile and thanks for the help. I bought a house about a month ago and had trouble getting the pool balanced. Thanks to this forum everything is good to go. Crystal clear.

This is my first post. I found a leak in the bottom of the liner near the stairs. It was pretty easy to fix with a repair kit for $5. It seemed to work for awhile but the leak is back.

If I'm going to patch up the leak again should I remove the old patch or just put a bigger patch over the old one? I'm afraid if I remove the first one it may rip, causing the hole to get bigger. Anyone ever had a similar problem?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Vinyl liner leak

Hi Willy.. Had a LARGE pull/tear in my liner under a skimmer. Used a patch from same type material and use BullFrog adhesive to bond. Been over a year now and has held great. I understand that covering the existing patch is preferred rather that risk pulling the old patch and making it worse like you mentioned. I'm sure others will speak up and give some good advice. Good Luck !!!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

3. Back To Top    #3
    Jamestown, ND

Always cut a larger patch and go over the old one. I cut the patches into circles so that it holds longer. Never cut square patches.

Good Luck.
    Chad R.

POOL SIZE: 16 x 32' Vinyl lined pool. 22,000 gallons. 8' deep. 2009 Hayward 1.5 HP Super Pump. Hayward S310S 30" 500 lb Sand filter. 1 skimmer and 2 returns. Solar Blanket.

Pics of my pool:

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mexico, MO

Know anyone getting rid of their holey Intex pool? Grab it up and cut it for patch material. Reinforced patches!

Hmmm maybe I should do that, and put together patch kits!
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Good it !!!!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc