Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bug spray in pool, please help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Bug spray in pool, please help!

I have an intex pool and recently had some yellow jackets build a hive inside one of the openings around the top rail. I shot some wasp/hornet spray in there and then flushed it out with the hose. When I flushed it out with the hose, the bug spray got in the pool and now there is a clear oily film on the surface of the water. Do I need to drain all the water and do a complete refill?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bug spray in pool, please help!

Bleach will likely take care of it in time. Or you can buy a scumball at the pool store, which is a foam thing that floats around and absorbs oils. The most expensive option is Pool Perfect enzyme, but a jug of that would likely cost a lot more than refilling the pool.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Richard, will chemicals in the spray pose any health risk or will the bleach take care of it? Right now I've got the pump set to waste with the skimmer open trying to drain it off the surface of the water.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no idea about the health risks. But oxidized by bleach is the same as burning. The good stuff in spray cans usually evaporates anyway.

What you're doing sounds like a good way to get the stuff off the surface.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

thank you for your help. i'll raise it to shock levels tonight.

6. Back To Top    #6

Take a look at the ingredients in the can of bee killer. Alot that i have came across have permethrin in them. The general consensus that i gather is that in smaller amounts its not generally hazardous. Information is gathered from here.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)