Should I replace and downsize my pool pump?

DDub87

Jul 25, 2014
Dunedin, Florida
Alright, I'm very much a novice with pools; we moved in about a year and a half ago now, and while the pool's provided plenty of fun, we've not had much issue with it.

However, the pump is getting very loud; it still moves water fine and the gauge (on the filter) reads 12 psi as usual, it's just really, really, annoyingly loud (it was loud before but not this bad) looking online I saw to check and clean the Impeller but when I did that there wasn't really anything I could see or feel gummed up in it, so on the way home from the vet's today we stopped at Pinch A Penny, and describing the issue, he said it sounded like it was starting to go. He suggested buying a new one or having them repair it, and we've all sort of decided that, given the other issues we've had with the shoddy repairs done to 'fix' this house up, we might as well invest in a new pump since we don't even know how old our current one is (our house was formerly rented out; we don't have any documentation on this pool :/)

So here is what I know about the pool:
Approximately 7000 gallons with an Average Depth around 4.25 feet.

The Pump/Motor is a Hayward SP2710X15UN, which it says online is discontinued and a 1.5 HP pump, which the research I've done so far says is WAAAY too large, and that I could be more efficient and cost effective running a smaller pump for a longer time.

The filter is a Hayward DE3600
EFA - 36 SqFt
Design Flow Rate is 72 GPM
Max Pressure is 50 PSI
DE Capacity is 4.5 lbs

As far as plumbing, I have no clue, it looks kind of jacked (I can put a picture up if necessary; there are two lines, one going in and one going out. The pool itself is inground fiberglass (I think), with two return jets at the shallow end and one halfway down on the side that's never worked, a skimmer, and a main drain at the deep end. The shallow end of the pool is about 40 feet from the pump and the deep end's about probably ten feet.

Anyways, my question is, can we downgrade from this 1.5 HP Pump to something smaller, which will let us run for more than 8 hours a day but still be easier on the wallet?

Appreciate any help, times are tight and money's scarce around here, so if we're gonna replace the pump, I figure we ought to be smart about it.

You have a Max-Flo II pump which has a pretty good wet end so I would just replace the motor. It actually isn't all that big of a pump. First of all it is up rated so has the same pumping capacity as a 1 HP full rated pump. Second, the Max-Flo series has fairly low head curves which makes them more efficient that others.

Double check but I think that is a 48Y frame? Which means you can use a UQS1152R (two speed) if the motor is currently wired for 230v.

You have a Max-Flo II pump which has a pretty good wet end so I would just replace the motor. It actually isn't all that big of a pump. First of all it is up rated so has the same pumping capacity as a 1 HP full rated pump. Second, the Max-Flo series has fairly low head curves which makes them more efficient that others.

Double check but I think that is a 48Y frame? Which means you can use a UQS1152R (two speed) if the motor is currently wired for 230v.

Where would it say if it is a 48Y frame? And what's the diff between the Two Speed and the Single, just better efficiency wise? I know just replacing the motor is cheaper than getting a whole new pump.

It should be on the motor label under "Frame".

And yes, a two speed motor will save on energy. Low speed is 1/2 the flow rate but less than 1/4th of the power so a big savings.

I'll have to double check in the morning; its probably a fruitless question, but is just replacing the motor less money than replacing the entire pump? I hate to sound cheap but like I said, cash is super tight right now after a run of terrible luck these last few months.

but is just replacing the motor less money than replacing the entire pump?
It usually is but not by much, maybe $100 difference. However, the biggest savings is in time and effort because with a new pump, you will have to cut into the plumbing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.