do i need a new set of cartridge filters?

Dec 16, 2013
Sacramento, CA
I'm pretty sure these are the original filters from when the pool was built in 2003. They seem to be working fine, I've had crystal clear water all summer sticking to TFP methodology. The pictures were after I cleaned them. Filter pressure at 2.5PSI after cleaning and usually takes a couple of months to reach 5PSI which is when I usually will clean it. A new set is about $400.

Have you ever soaked them in TSP (trisodium phosphate)?

Since TSP seems to be getting harder to find, dishwasher detergent powder is a good substitute.

1 cup per 5 gallons of soak water, and about 1/8 cup bleach per 10 gallons.

Other than being stained a bit, you wrote that they seem to still be working, so soak overnight, and see what they look like after.

I notice those seem to use paper bands. The ultra-cheap carts which just rolled in (4/$126 - Amazon) at least use nylon strapping.

I have some vinyl tape (sold as masking tape). It is thinner that "electrical" tape, and not as sticky - once it sticks to itself, it stays. In my attempts to patch together carts, I've found it works well.
The brand is Permacel - which may have changed over the 18 years since I bought the stuff.

I notice those seem to use paper bands. The ultra-cheap carts which just rolled in (4/$126 - Amazon) at least use nylon strapping.

I have some vinyl tape (sold as masking tape). It is thinner that "electrical" tape, and not as sticky - once it sticks to itself, it stays. In my attempts to patch together carts, I've found it works well.
The brand is Permacel - which may have changed over the 18 years since I bought the stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion, do you have a link to those cartridge filters on Amazon? Are they a legitimate replacement for the Sta-Rite versions?

Thanks for the suggestion, do you have a link to those cartridge filters on Amazon? Are they a legitimate replacement for the Sta-Rite versions?

I also have a Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, and I have looked around a bit for aftermarket replacement cartridges. I don't think there are any, you have to bite the bullet and get the OEM cartridges ($$$). If you google "Sta-Rite System 3 retrofit", you will see that someone makes a retrofit gizmo that fits in the tank, then you can use their cartridges. I have no experience with the product.

These were made by something called "American" (made in USA! - as if that excuses cheap construction).
I would NOT recommend these (they were advertised by the Hayward part number - just slightly deceptive...
Pleatco is about as cheap as I'd want to go.

Just for my own curiosity, I looked up the carts for that beast - I could not beat $400/set.

One thing you might try - get VERY accurate dimensions for each and go to a place which just asks for dimensions - be sure that sq footage is one of the dimensions.
Maybe somebody else uses a cart with the same dimensions, but does not sell them as replacements for that filter. If you can find the tall one for $100 and the fat one for $150, it might be worth the time spent searching.
Pool Supply World offers search by part or by dimension ( http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/replacement-filter-cartridges.htm?cmpid=nav_top) - I also ran into someplace which had a name sounding like all they did was carts - didn't bookmark, and don't remember. Sorry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.