Dirty water from filter for 30 seconds after bumping

Hi there.
Yesterday I put my Hayward DE ec40 filter back together after soaking with dishwasher detergent followed by a muriatic acid soaking (I rinsed the fingers after each). The fingers came out great and there appeared to be no damage. I got the pool running, and everything was great after adding the 4lbs of DE immediately. Ph was low, so I started with balancing the pool. Filter was running great until I turned it off last night (bumped it 3 or 4 times through the day). The pool had cleared significantly.

This morning I turned the filter on again, and it was working away fine. I put a little more Soda Ash in. After about 2 hours, I bumped it again, and when I turned it back on, I noticed dirty water was coming out for about 30 seconds, and then it was clear again. I've bumped it twice since then, and each time dirty water came out for just 30 seconds once I started the filter again.

Any help would be appreciated.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Disclaimer, I have no experience with bump filters ... but ...

This does not really surprise me. When you bump the filter you are knocking the DE and dirt off the fingers. When you turn it back on, the DE has to re-coat the fingers and before that happens, I would not be surprised that some fine dirt passes through.

Maybe this is a sign that you need to clean out the filter again (not soaking just spray off the DE and dirt) and then re-charge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.