Motor/?Pump replacement

Pagman

Jul 25, 2014
Charleston,SC
I am new to TFP from a posting standpoint but have "lurked" and learned a ton from all the posts. Now I need some help. I noticed the pool looking kind of dirty this week after work, so I ran a basic test only to find my chlorine near zero and my pH around 8. I went to the pump area and tried to manually turn on the waterfall and it wouldn't. I opened the timer box and noticed both pump breakers tripped. When I tried to reset, a nice popping sound came from the back of the filter pump motor so I immediately shut it off. Both timers were way off, so this had been tripped a short while. I also noticed that my main motor is severely corroded with the casing falling apart. I pulled the motor today and most of the casing near the "back end" of the pump in in shambles. Even the attachment bracket is rusted badly. I had this motor replaced about two years ago on one of those home warranties and I suspect that while the motor was replaced, none of the seals on the back end of the pump were changed and this has slowly led to the failure of the motor. I know that's hard to believe that someone might fix something, but not do it correctly! Anyway, what I am looking for advice wise is if I should just replace the motor; I have looking a the two stage and vs motors, or should I go ahead and replace the whole pump? I have no trouble doing this stuff myself and in fact rather enjoy it. I have a hard time believing from what I have read that I really need this big of a pump/motor combination. I have no automation involved and basically this is just a plunge pool. Our electric rates are just over .14 per kWh. Thanks for all the input.

First, welcome to the forum.

Second, it kind of depends on the condition of the wet end. Unless there are cracks in the house, it can usually last a very long time so it is usually worth it to just replace the motor unless of course you can find a pump for less.

If you need help with a replacement, post a picture of the motor label.

So, does this mean that the whisperflow is rated up to 2hp and I could use a smaller motor? I do have solar water heating aspirations in the future, so I want to have enough juice to do that. At my current energy rates it seems like a vs motor is kind of overkill also? It just seems that the price of a motor is not too different than a brand-new pump unless the quality of that motor is less than a replacement? And since I live in Charleston, SC we keep it open year round (not to swim in winter though!).

If you downsize the motor, you will need to downsize the impeller as well.

Also, a motor and impeller will be lower in cost than a new pump but not by much so you can get a new pump. However, it is much easier to install just a new motor than it is a new pump because you won't need to change the plumbing.

If you downsize the motor, you will need to downsize the impeller as well.

Also, a motor and impeller will be lower in cost than a new pump but not by much so you can get a new pump. However, it is much easier to install just a new motor than it is a new pump because you won't need to change the plumbing.

Ok, so either I replace the motor or yank the whole thing. What would be anyone's recommendations either way and then I can consider the cost. Given my setup as I said before it seems like what I have pump/motor wise is absolute overkill and I hate wasting money on electricity. I have no problem going full hog and getting a new pump assembly if it is really worth it, and please keep in mind that solar may be looming when considering motor/pump size.

Solar really doesn't come into play. I run my solar system installed on a second story roof with a 1/2 HP pump. Almost any pump can support solar.

Assuming the pump is only used for circulation you could downsize all the way to 1/2 HP too if you want. The nice thing about the Whisperflo series is that they are compatible with a new line of Century motors that are more efficient. However these motors are only available after market right now.

To go to 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP, you need the following:

Pentair WhisperFlo Pump Impeller 073126 (1/2 HP) or 073126 (3/4 HP)
Century B2980 (230v) or B2981 (115v) 2 speed motor (both motors will work with both impellers)
Whisperflo GoKit

A similar sized new pump would be:

SuperFlo 1 HP two speed
MaxFlo XL 1 HP two speed

Thx for the info; very helpful. I was toying with the idea of the Hayward EcoStar, I saw that deal for the 3400 for like $659. I got the motor off the seal-plate today and two of my motor mounts are done, so I will need a new plate in addition to everything else. For the moment, I have moved my 1.5hp motor that usually runs the waterfall into the filtering position so I have something to run the SWCG. I have also thought that maybe if I keep something decent sized I could tie in the waterfall down the road when the 1.5 gives out because it is also single speed and original as far as I know:2006. At least that gives me something to munch on for the week and a little bit of breathing room also as the pool in not stagnating! Really appreciate all the feedback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.