Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump down, water out of whack!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump down, water out of whack!

So I have been following the TFP all summer and my pool has looked and tested great. Then about a week and half ago, my cord to my pump fried and we couldn’t run the pump until it was replaced. I kind of just left it. By the way, all summer even though I run my SWG I still have to add bleach often. The SWG doesnt seem to ever maintain FC levels on its own. Can I SLAM looking at the nonSWG chart? Since I am probably low on salt and CYA? (CYA was at 70 earlier in summer but we had a leak and lost a lot of water). Can I keep my CYA at 30 if I turn off my SWG or should I keep running the SWG and just supplement with bleach as needed?

I tested the water yesterday and the results are
    FC 0.2
    CC 0.6
    TA 100
    PH 8
    CYA 30 or below

I know I need to SLAM, I have the bleach stocked up. I also know I should tackle the PH first, but any other advice? Can I lower PH, start slamming, and add the CYA stuff later just so I can begin?
    Approx 8,000 gallon AG Vinyl pool
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump down, water out of whack!

Your CYA is actually good where it is for a slam so don't raise it til the slam is complete. Yep, drop your pH and you should be good to go. That high pH is likely a result of your somewhat high TA. But I wouldn't worry about TA for now either. Lower pH and start your slam. Just noticed your numbers .2 and .6. Are these results from a pool store test? If so, you need a proper test kit to start. TF-100 is most highly recommended here.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

No I have the Taylor kit. Thanks, I just added the acid and will start SLAM soon? like 30 minutes?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    Your CYA is actually good where it is for a slam so don't raise it til the slam is complete. Yep, drop your pH and you should be good to go. That high pH is likely a result of your somewhat high TA. But I wouldn't worry about TA for now either. Lower pH and start your slam. Just noticed your numbers .2 and .6. Are these results from a pool store test? If so, you need a proper test kit to start. TF-100 is most highly recommended here.
    - - - Updated - - -

Another question, the last time I SLAM (the beg of summer) my CYA was so high my shock goal was like 23! But now looking at the chart I think I only need to SLAM to 10? I know I need to maintain that number until I pass all the tests, but is this correct?
    Intex SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

I"m not clear on your numbers. Is that chlorine level 0.2 as you have written it, or 2?

test your pH, and if it's between 7.2 and 7.5 you can start your slam. You said your CYA is 30 or below, so target a CL level of about 12.
    Bestway SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    I"m not clear on your numbers. Is that chlorine level 0.2 as you have written it, or 2?

test your pH, and if it's between 7.2 and 7.5 you can start your slam. You said your CYA is 30 or below, so target a CL level of about 12.
    0.2 is correct. Essentially 0 as I haven't touched the pool or ran the pump in over a week.
    Intex SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Have you tested your pH since you added the acid? If it's in range you're good to start the SLAM.
    Bestway SWG