Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why isn't my CYA increasing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Why isn't my CYA increasing?

Two weeks ago, my CYA was about 25. I wanted to bring it up to over 40, so I switched to trichlor temporarily.

I've used up about 4 lbs of pucks in the past 2 weeks, but my CYA level is only 30. According to pool math, it should have went up by 22 to about 47.

Is there a reason why my CYA isn't going up as expected?
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Why isn't my CYA increasing?

The CYA test is about +-15, so your CYA might have actually changed by 22, but you can't always see that in the test results.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

+/- 15 seems like a lot, I tested 3 times and I got ~30 every time.

Is the heat and lots of sun light a factor in the pool using up CYA, given I live in a hot climate?
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use

4. Back To Top    #4

High water temperatures will have a small effect, but only something like losing 2-4 ppm/month.

Is there any chance you have a slow leak?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    Is there any chance you have a slow leak?
    Actually, yes there's a very slow leak... after I opened my Hayward to wash the the filters, I couldn't close it tight enough so there's a slow drip coming out from where the lid is bolted. After trying to screw it on tight enough, I shrugged it off figuring water is relatively cheap and I can always top off once a week. I see a small puddle of water just below the drip from the bolts.

6. Back To Top    #6

That doesn't sound like enough of a leak to cause CYA to go down significantly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hmm. Weird. I don' t have auto-fill, so I'm pretty sure I don't have any other leaks. Besides my CH has been nothing but consistent, +/- 25 ppm.

Maybe the CYA in my trichlor isn't as strong as poolmath is saying? I've been seeing other threads lately from members having issues with adding CYA to their pools, testing little or no CYA after their additions... maybe something is going on, and we just don't know about it?

Other test results if it helps:

FC 11.5
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    TA 75
    CH 275
    No borates no salt
    CSI = 0.03 as of today

8. Back To Top    #8

So, you've added 4 lbs that's about 8 pucks. Looks like it could have added 21ppm (or less, pucks aren't all exactly 8 ozs I had some that were more like 7 ozs), but like Jason said the test accuracy is+-15ppm so it could have been as low as 10 to begin with.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter