Why isn't my CYA increasing?

May 20, 2014
Houston, TX
Two weeks ago, my CYA was about 25. I wanted to bring it up to over 40, so I switched to trichlor temporarily.

I've used up about 4 lbs of pucks in the past 2 weeks, but my CYA level is only 30. According to pool math, it should have went up by 22 to about 47.

Is there a reason why my CYA isn't going up as expected?

Is there any chance you have a slow leak?

Actually, yes there's a very slow leak... after I opened my Hayward to wash the the filters, I couldn't close it tight enough so there's a slow drip coming out from where the lid is bolted. After trying to screw it on tight enough, I shrugged it off figuring water is relatively cheap and I can always top off once a week. I see a small puddle of water just below the drip from the bolts.

Hmm. Weird. I don' t have auto-fill, so I'm pretty sure I don't have any other leaks. Besides my CH has been nothing but consistent, +/- 25 ppm.

Maybe the CYA in my trichlor isn't as strong as poolmath is saying? I've been seeing other threads lately from members having issues with adding CYA to their pools, testing little or no CYA after their additions... maybe something is going on, and we just don't know about it?

Other test results if it helps:

FC 11.5
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 75
CH 275
No borates no salt
CSI = 0.03 as of today

So, you've added 4 lbs that's about 8 pucks. Looks like it could have added 21ppm (or less, pucks aren't all exactly 8 ozs I had some that were more like 7 ozs), but like Jason said the test accuracy is+-15ppm so it could have been as low as 10 to begin with.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.