Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is this worth it.

1. Back To Top    #1

Is this worth it.

It looks like a flo-matrix. At least there are some good parts. I'm assuming the winding is somewhat bad if it keeps tripping the breaker. Maybe I can just remove the ground (he he he).

http://smd.craigslist.org/spo/4586194661.html
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this worth it.

I would leave it exactly where it's at, on Craig's List.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Not worth the risk. Keep looking.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

How does he know it works if it keeps tripping the breaker? That means it doesn't work although it could just need a new capacitor or cleaning of the centrifugal switch.

You could let him "show" you how it works and when it trips the breaker, tell him that it doesn't work but you will take it for $20. The wet end is worth at least that.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Well looks like it was a great deal. I went to the guy's house. I talked him down to $25.00. I took it home and took the motor apart. It appeared that the bottom of the motor had sat in water (low) for some time as it had some surface rust. It appeared the starter winding switch had worn through. In addition the motor thru bolts were rusted and one was broken. I ordered the switch on ebay and made some thru bolts out of 8-32 threaded rod and nuts. I plugged it in and it powered up. I ran it for a few minutes, heat and everything else was good. My assumption was the starter switch was bad and that cause the motor to overheat.
    13,500 gallon above ground round pool. Vinyl Liner. Hayward S244T 3.1 cu ft sand filter. Hayward Powerflo 1HP pump (single speed induction). HTH 6-way test kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

That worked out for sure! Good job!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit