Sodium Hypo and ph

echo

Jul 30, 2013
western new york
I was wondering how directly chlorine usage is responsible for the ph rise in pool water. I am wondering if there is a way to quantify it, if it is. My thinking is... Would it be possible to add HCl (very dilute HCl I imagine) to my chlorine holding tank on my stenner chlorine feed system.

:shock:

Not if you enjoy living. Acid plus chlorine make chlorine gas, diluted or not. Chlorine does raise the pH when added, but then it comes back down as the chlorine is consumed. If you are having problems with your pH constantly rising your TA is more likely the cause.

So please don't add acid to your chlorine tank.

:shock:

Not if you enjoy living. Acid plus chlorine make chlorine gas, diluted or not. Chlorine does raise the pH when added, but then it comes back down as the chlorine is consumed. If you are having problems with your pH constantly rising your TA is more likely the cause.

So please don't add acid to your chlorine tank.

I do notice that my ph tends to rise gradually .. I am currently adding (via stenner) 38 fl oz/day of 12.5% hypo and its been working well. About one a week, I need to add 6-8 fl oz of 37% HCl. I usually add when ph is 7.8 and shoot to bring it down to 7.4 My HCl usage has been very consistent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.