Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sodium Hypo and ph

1. Back To Top    #1

Sodium Hypo and ph

I was wondering how directly chlorine usage is responsible for the ph rise in pool water. I am wondering if there is a way to quantify it, if it is. My thinking is... Would it be possible to add HCl (very dilute HCl I imagine) to my chlorine holding tank on my stenner chlorine feed system.
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sodium Hypo and ph

Insignificant. pH rise is usually due to aeration from SWGs, fountains, bubblers, etc.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Not if you enjoy living. Acid plus chlorine make chlorine gas, diluted or not. Chlorine does raise the pH when added, but then it comes back down as the chlorine is consumed. If you are having problems with your pH constantly rising your TA is more likely the cause.

So please don't add acid to your chlorine tank.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post

Not if you enjoy living. Acid plus chlorine make chlorine gas, diluted or not. Chlorine does raise the pH when added, but then it comes back down as the chlorine is consumed. If you are having problems with your pH constantly rising your TA is more likely the cause.

So please don't add acid to your chlorine tank.
    I do notice that my ph tends to rise gradually .. I am currently adding (via stenner) 38 fl oz/day of 12.5% hypo and its been working well. About one a week, I need to add 6-8 fl oz of 37% HCl. I usually add when ph is 7.8 and shoot to bring it down to 7.4 My HCl usage has been very consistent.
    15k gal inground Viking fiberglass pool; Hayward Variable 1.5hp pump (Maxflo VS); Hayward swimclear 325 sg ft cartridge filter; Raypak 206A 199k btu nat gas heater; Aquabot Bravo robotic pool cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

What is your TA?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

It is pretty normal for the pH to tend to rise ... unless you are using acid solid chlorine products.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    What is your TA?
    110 (last i tested about 5 days ago)

8. Back To Top    #8

Lowering your TA will eliminate, or at least greatly reduce, the PH drift.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School