Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How often add chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

How often add chlorine?

Split by moderator. Please do not hijack another member's thread. Always ask you own questions in you own thread. Thanks, jblizzle

How often should chlorine be put in the pool? Is this an every day thing? I'm asking because I've been having to add a little bit every day. it has been extremely hot lately so that may have something to do with it.
    20 X 40.....32000 Gallons.....Gunite.....Live in Albuquerque New Mexico...............Sand Star Pump...Heater but only use when we first start up in April/May...

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How often add chlorine?

A basic tenet of TFPC is testing and adding chlorine as needed ... this is usually daily. It is normal to lose 2-4ppm of FC every day.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

How often should chlorine be put in the pool? Is this an every day thing?
    Yes, chlorine should be tested and adjusted (if needed) daily to stay in range according to the CYA/FC chart. Never let FC drop below the minimum level.

Once the pool stabilizes, you may find that you can set FC a little towards the high side and skip a day (I do this), but never more than one day. It isn't worth it to let the pool slide and have to SLAM again. I think a popular saying around here is "treat it like a pet: you don't have to play with it every day, but you do have to feed it".
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

4. Back To Top    #4

Almost. Check my signature.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all....and I apologize for placing my question in the wrong place
    20 X 40.....32000 Gallons.....Gunite.....Live in Albuquerque New Mexico...............Sand Star Pump...Heater but only use when we first start up in April/May...

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you TFP.....I get to enjoy my pool and save about 500$ a month when the pool store tries to get me to buy their chemicals...got a big pool...wouldn't go back to floaters and shock and phos free for anythingimage.jpg
    T

7. Back To Top    #7

It is highly recommended that you have water in your pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter