Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Noob done slaming now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

Noob done slaming now what?

After about approximately a week and half of slaming, patience. and what felt like scrubbing the plaster off due to some black algae spots, I passed OCLT this morning!!. Pretty stoked about that!! I recently took over the pool from the pool company and I got through the slam process without asking any questions just from the wealth of info I was able to read from here. This place is awesome.
    I ran all the other tests this morning and am in the process of letting my FC fall into range. I currently have my SWG off while this happens and I plan on testing this evening to see where I'm at. I understand I should keep the FC on the high end of level recommendation, witch I will then turn on the SWG. I also know that PH isn't accurate until FC is 10 or below but with that being said what other do I need to do. My CYA is a little low but I'm not sure if I should add some stabilizer know or wait till FC gets in check. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated. I guess just trying to figure out where to go from here.

PH- 7.7 which I know isn't accurate right now
    FC- 23
    CC- 0
    TC- 23
    CH- 325
    TA- 70
    CYA-50
    Salt- 3600
    12k gal, IG plaster/pebble, 3/4 WhisperFlo pump, Pentair Clean&Clear cartridge filiter, AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, TF-100, K-1776, SpeedStir, Inside Screened Cage

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Noob done slaming now what?

Nice work

Your water is in good shape. I think you can go ahead and get the CYA dissolving at this point. No really rain not too since it will affect dialing in your SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

oops...a post was moved by Jason but my reply didn't follow it, and therefore made no sense here.
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks jblizzle! I'm having a blast doing all this stuff, this site makes feel like a little kid with his first chemistry set! Learning a lot. I gave my neighbor the TFP business card that came in my test kit. Hopefully I convinced him enough about this site, the simplicity of the concept once you learn pool school, how everyone is so helpful here, and how bad the pool store is hosing him and he still as algae problems after a good month.

Pool calculator says 2lbs of CYA to bring up to 70. Should I do the whole 2lbs or do just do a lb first?
    12k gal, IG plaster/pebble, 3/4 WhisperFlo pump, Pentair Clean&Clear cartridge filiter, AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, TF-100, K-1776, SpeedStir, Inside Screened Cage

5. Back To Top    #5

haha no worries tado921, I kind of figured.

6. Back To Top    #6

Should I do the whole 2lbs or do just do a lb first?
    Its kind of up to what you're comfortable with, but if you are confident that your gallons are correct there isn't any issue going all in.

Here's a thought about your neighbor: challenge him to a contest, see who spends less on their pool to achieve the same results of clear, clean, safe water.
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Caspian View Post
    Pool calculator says 2lbs of CYA to bring up to 70. Should I do the whole 2lbs or do just do a lb first?
    I would do half the recommended, so1 lb and retest CYA in 1 week. I would then update your current cya in pool math to the level you expect 1 lb to give you. CYA test accuracy is only +/- 15ppm
    Above Ground 30' x 52" AquaLeader Blues pool
    Pentair Dynamo 120v 1.5hp pump w/Sand Dollar 40 filter
    Hayward Skimmer
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool installed and filled 6/27/14

8. Back To Top    #8

For pool math I've been using the gallons that my swg is programmed for which is 12k, my math has me figuring it out to be 11651. What number should I be using? Or is that a small enough difference it doesn't matter?

9. Back To Top    #9

I would just use 12k and see if over time you are hitting your targets
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Sounds great thanks guys.