Pump Trips GFI

belgique

LifeTime Supporter
Pump less than a year old. It trips GFI's. I use plural because I have replaced the GFI and have plugged it into a different GFI circuit. If I plug it into a non GFI protected circuit, it runs fine. If I leave it on for an hour or so and then plug it into a GFI circuit, it does not trip the GFI and runs for days.

We are on the sound and we've had a lot of rain. Maybe running it non protected drys it out until the next down pour? I know the correct answer is GFI protection but is there any harm running it unprotected until the monsoons stop since I'm the only person that goes anywhere near the pump? This is an above ground and the pump is only connected to the pool by the rubber/plastic hoses. You can't reach the pool from the pump.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance. Steve

GFCI is an important safety feature that protects everyone swimming in the pool.

If the pump got wet inside, that would cause it to trip GFCIs until it dries out. It can also trip a GFCI because it is starting to wear through some insulation and is partially shorting one of the hot wires to ground, just not by enough to trip the circuit breaker. That seems less likely, but it can also be very dangerous, so I'm not sure if you will want to take that risk.

Thanks Jason. I ran it unprotected (and no one around) for about 2 hours and then plugged in GFI and it ran perfect for about 10 hours and then tripped again. No rain in that time so something must be going bad inside so time to buy another one. Bought this in Jan and only used since April. Have to look into warranty but that's a lost cause I'm guessing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.