Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Burning eyes

1. Back To Top    #1

Burning eyes

I have a new Intex vinyl above ground pool, 12,600 gallons, SWG with ozone by Intex. Water is clear, beautiful and does NOT smell like chlorine (chloramines?), yet my eyes burn. Very little sunscreen gets into the water. The pump & chlorine/ozone generator run 8 hours in daylight per day. All I have are test strips. A test strip dipped in before the pump came on and the sun rose above the horizon returned the following results:

Total hardness 250
    TC 1
    FC 3
    pH 6.8 to 7.0 (which is surprising since I lowered pH to 7.4 by adding about 3/4 box of Borax 3 weeks ago, but it is early morning and it has been raining a lot lately.)
    TA 180
    CYA 50 (which is also surprising since I originally poured in about 50% more CYA than was called for)

I know I need a better test kit. All good things in time.

Is the low pH what is causing my eyes to burn? How much baking soda do I add?

MAJOR EDIT: I didn't trust the test strip, so I used 3 different pH tests from my saltwater aquarium and all three said 7.5 - 7.6. Another saltwater aquarium test said the alkalinity was in the 2.0 to 2.3 range measured in Milli-equivalents per liter.

So if it's not low pH, what's making my eyes burn?
    Home pool: Intex 11,400 gallon AG vinyl pool with sand filter & SWG. Taylor K-2006 test kit - coastal Georgia. I'm also in charge of the Elk's Lodge Pool, which is 55,000 gallons in-ground concrete with sand filter, 2 HP Hayward pump, currently using tri-chlor pucks and cal-hypo system.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Burning eyes

Few things stand out....
    a. You are correct, test strips not too accurate.
    b. Pump should run before you test.
    c. PH is too low, as you guessed.
    d. I believe Borax would raise your PH, muratic acid lowers.
    e. You chlorine level is too low for your CYA level.

it would be a great idea to order a good test kit and read pool school while you wait for it to get here!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

3. Back To Top    #3

PAGirl is right. I will only add that if your test results are at all accurate, you do not need to add baking soda.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

If (BIG if) those numbers are right, all you need to do is aerate to bring pH up. No chemicals needed. You have high TA, so it should be a fairly quick thing. Low pH will cause stinging eyes. If you use the search box for "aerator" and look for the paper clip icon, you'll find pictures of various homemade things. Maybe something will inspire you.

Also a big IF, if those chlorine numbers are correct, you have 2 CC, which is too high, which can also cause burning eyes. The cure is to raise FC to the appropriate level for your CYA, which it isn't at the moment. Strictly following the TFP dogma, I should say you need to SLAM, but I don't trust the test strip results, and you can't SLAM without the right test kit anyway.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    Few things stand out....
    a. You are correct, test strips not too accurate.
    b. Pump should run before you test.
    c. PH is too low, as you guessed.
    d. I believe Borax would raise your PH, muratic acid lowers.

it would be a great idea to order a good test kit and read pool school while you wait for it to get here!

I will add, chlorine level never seems to effect my eyes, bad pH level on the other hand does cause burning to me.

Get the pH in line and I think your problem will go away. But, you need a good test kit, not strips!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, now to the problem at hand: Low pH could potentially cause the burning eyes issue. Pool math says ~6lbs of borax to get it from 7.0 to 7.5 with 12600 gallons. EDIT: With high TA you should aerate to raise pH as stated previously.

However...you also state TC=1 and FC=3, which means CC (combined chlorine i.e.bad stuff) is at 2. This can cause burning eyes as well.

I originally poured in about 50% more CYA than was called for
    uh oh...this might nave been a mistake.
    33K gal vinyl IG, 1.5 HP SuperFlo pump, Hayward S244T sand filter (62GPM)

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Also a big IF, if those chlorine numbers are correct, you have 2 CC
    Correction: if those numbers are correct, he has -2 CC. Since this is impossible, I submit it as evidence that those strips are not worth the paper they were glued to.

Proper test results are key, the sooner you get them the sooner your problems can be solved. I say this as someone who put it off initially and realize now that it would have saved me a lot of time and money that season.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you for the quick replies.....a little too quick as it turns out, b/c I was editing my original post as ya'll were posting replies. Regarding the aeration, the chlorine/ozone generator includes a fractionator, so the water coming out is seriously aerated (hopefully with ozone)
    Home pool: Intex 11,400 gallon AG vinyl pool with sand filter & SWG. Taylor K-2006 test kit - coastal Georgia. I'm also in charge of the Elk's Lodge Pool, which is 55,000 gallons in-ground concrete with sand filter, 2 HP Hayward pump, currently using tri-chlor pucks and cal-hypo system.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Vince-1961 View Post
    I have a new Intex vinyl above ground pool, 12,600 gallons, SWG with ozone by Intex. Water is clear, beautiful and does NOT smell like chlorine (chloramines?), yet my eyes burn. Very little sunscreen gets into the water. The pump & chlorine/ozone generator run 8 hours in daylight per day. All I have are test strips. A test strip dipped in before the pump came on and the sun rose above the horizon returned the following results:

Total hardness 250
    TC 1
    FC 3
    pH 6.8 to 7.0 (WRONG! SEE BELOW)
    TA 180 (Also wrong.)
    CYA 50 (which is also surprising since I originally poured in about 50% more CYA than was called for)

MAJOR EDIT: I didn't trust the test strip, so I used 3 different pH tests from my saltwater aquarium and all three said 7.5 - 7.6. Another saltwater aquarium test said the alkalinity was in the 2.0 to 2.3 range measured in Milli-equivalents per liter.
    I found a conversion chart and see that 2.0 to 2.3 mql is about 90-110 ppm on the alkalinity scale, so that test casts further doubt on the accuracy of the test strip. Ordered the Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit. I'll dip another test strip when I get home today.

10. Back To Top    #10

As he said above, it's not possible for FC to be 3 and TC to be 1, as the formula is FC+CC=TC.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!