I have Gunite Pox?

EVChargeGuy

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 16, 2014
Long Island, NY
Some background:

Pool was close for 8 years, filled with water & LoopLoc cover.
Very dark finish Gunite.

Had a local PB drain & acid wash as well as re-plumb all the above ground stuff.
We anticipated the need for Marble Dusting, I assume it the same as Plastering?

After the cleaning the PB said the only need for Marble Dusting would be cosmetic.
The quote for dusting was $6K
With the cost of the rest of the renovation climbing (tree work, landscaping and large paver patio, etc) we decided to pass on it for this year and filled the pool.
Had a cheapo Home depot test kit & Strips
Pool looked good, I did the puck thing and all was well with the world

About a month later while researching filter issues I found this oasis (TFP) on the internet, bought a TF100, shut down the chlorinator and became a bleach bum ;-)

BUT after my first test I realized my CH was zero and based on my exposure to this site I know now that’s bad thing for a Gunite pool! I had a 40lb bag of DowFlake in the garage and found another bag at a local HW store. CH is now at 400
BTW: PB said” oh yea, I should have told you that we have very soft water here & you need to get the CH up”:mad:

But it looks like some damage was done. I now have white spots appearing all over the pool, some as big as a dime. They don’t seem to flake or get bigger if I brush them but I cant say for sure.

So I guess a couple of questions
Is this still a cosmetic issue?
Are there ‘patch’ solutions or is this a waste of time?
Is marble dusting the only surface to be used or are their other finish choices?
Pool bottomx.jpg

:bump: To get you some answers. I had a chuckle at the Bleach Bum. That's what I am. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.