"Solar Heating Rings" - Worth Taking Home?

Aug 18, 2012
Sacramento CA
I am crippled with Osteoarthritis, so wrestling with a full size, one-piece cover is not really an option, but I would like some sort of evaporation barrier (the sun in this area is vicious).
Those rings (if still made) would probably be better than nothing, and, if they do actually heat the water, so much the better.
Anybody have experience with these? Are they a pain to deploy and retrieve? Do they fall apart after 2 seasons of sun 350 days/yr.?

What Richard said, they have been talked about plenty before.

They are a pain. I have wanted to defend then all season until it occured to me, "wait, you haven't used them all season because they are too much a bother." So I guess I have to admit I am no longer a fan of them.

From myHTC One via Tapatalk

Sorry. Forgot to search.

the only way I could see using a full-sized cover would be to have (fixed) rollers at each end, with vinyl-coated cable running the length of the pool - one on each side, and one in each direction
Say cables 1 and 2 are on the north side, and A and B are on the south side.
If the cover is wrapped up on the S end, cables 1 and 2 would be running the length of the pool, and the N roller would pull 1 and 2, and thus drag the cover.
To re-roll it on the South end,I crank the southern roller, pulling cables A and B.
This has the problem of introducing a trip factor at the water's edge. but if I'm supposed to move the roller down the side of the pool as deploring or retracting the cover - well, that isn't going to happen.

Still haven't figured out how to keep the force equal on all corners, or keep the center from dipping down and picking up few hundred pounds of water.

Hence the rings.

I got the impression that many, if not all, get their flotation from air trapped in compartments. Which model(s) can be cut up without losing buoyancy?

I'm not sure I understand what you're describing. Anyway, the regular solar covers are made with bubbles throughout and float. You can cut them any way you desire and they will float, no matter how large or small the piece is - 1 inch square or 1,000 fee square - no buoyancy lost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.