Adding ball valve with Hayward skimmer on Intex Ultra?

Jun 5, 2014
Brentwood, Ca (Nor-Cal)
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, got my 16x48 Intex Ultra up a few weeks ago along with the Hayward skimmer. I need a ball valve as I'm still running the Intex flex hose and cartridge filter. So now if I want to clean the filter I have to lift above water level or let it leak. What a hassle, please help! =)

I have a ball valve right at the pump that I close when cleaning the basket on my pump. When I need to disconnect the suction and return lines to the pool, I close this valve, close the filter, and stick a sock on the return port. The valve on the inlet to the pump looks like this http://www.warmwatersolutions.com/Accessories/ball-valve.jpg (I cannot open the link you provided.)

Easiest solution, stick a sock in the skimmer and the return, you will be able to clean your filter without draining the pool or getting wet.

EDIT: The link I provided is close to the valve I have - I was being lazy. Here is the valve that I really have and you can get it at a pool store....http://www.familyleisure.com/Discount-Pool-Supplies/Hayward-Two-Way-Ball-Valve :fish::fish:

What were you using to shut it off with your old skimmer? If you have an Intex valve, just move it to the other end of the hose where it attaches to the pump, like this:

temporary_zps91dbac76.jpg

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

BTW, your 16" Intex Ultra frame should have come with the same shutoff valves. Mine did, and I have the very same pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It might be easier and cheaper to find a cap to close off the old skimmer hole as I did in the pic above, freeing up your valve to be used to close off the line to the pump, versus trying to find a new valve and adapter to fit.

It looks the same but has a different model number SP0722S vs. SP0723. From the descriptions on Amazon, the one I bought (723) is FIP pipe and the 722 is SKT pipe. I have no idea what that means or what the difference is. Maybe a PVC expert can offer some advice.
Nice! That was my next question haha, I'll Def get the 23 then! It all threaded together I see, I'll use some sealant and switch my Intex hose with clamp jammed on the bottom of my skimmer!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.