Problems with Intex 2650 GPH sand filter pump - buzzing noise, no flow, etc.

May 29, 2012
I have an Intex SF20110, 2650 GPH sand filter, my 3rd season with it, I use it with a 15' x 48' Intex pool. I also have a "new this season" Intex Salt Water chlorinator, b/c the old one stopped producing salt late last season. We have gotten a lot of rain this week so I ran a boost last night using the SW Chlorinator and let the pump run all night. My pump had been very noisy lately, and I've been researching the possibility of replacing the bearings to see if that would help - but it had been running OK with decent flow, not great, but enough to avoid the dreaded "low flow" light on the SW chlorinator. I had hoped to get through the next 2 months with the pump, just running it 4 hours a day.

So today, I went to turn on the pump and it just makes a buzzing noise and there is no flow at all. I read some posts here, took out the basket, and nothing is blocking things (i.e. a stick or debris). I guess the impeller is not spinning? In other posts a capacitor was mentioned as a possibility. Anyway, is this thing shot or can I fix it? I have watched a couple of videos and read some threads on breaking this unit down. However, I am not too mechanically inclined (I don't own a bearing puller, for instance...) so would appreciate any advice. The pool water is clear now but as we all know a couple of days without filtering and things go south quickly. I don't have $$ now to buy a new $230 pump so I would really like to fix this one if possible. Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, in this post (below), that is not my signature, and I'm not sure how it got there. I tried to edit and remove it, but no luck. I wish I had a waterfall and slide, though.....

Here's an update....I just took the pump apart (have not disconnected any of the electrical parts, though). The impeller spins freely - by hand - and is not stuck. When i took the black cover off, the motor did have kind of a "burnt" smell. :( I am not good with electrical things, but am willing to learn. But, wondering if this motor is shot or if there are parts that can be repaired? does Intex sell replacement motors.....I am guessing not?

Really don't want to spend $200 plus to replace this thing.....help!

I think you can buy the pump assembly from intex, not sure about cost.

I don't have any suggestions for repair, but vminnovations has the 2650 gph unit for $179 delivered. That's where I bought mine, no issues with the transaction.

Thanks for the responses. Haven't ruled out a new pump but still hoping to fix this one to get thru the season. Update: after taking it apart (mostly), I put it back together in the garage with all parts dry. I plugged it up just to see, and the impeller spun! Still super noisy but I think that is b/c the bearings are shot. Then I put it back together outside and hooked up the hoses, but did not let the water flow yet. Impeller was spinning and motor working. Then, I let the water in and figured i was good to go. Nope. Back to just the humming noise, and a slight burning smell. Any ideas why the impeller won't spin once water is added back in to the system? I know I probably need to replace the bearings - but don't want to waste time and money on bearings if the motor/ pump is shot. Thoughts?

I just sent a PM to Pysiek since he had that excellent post last August about replacing bearings in this pump. I'm not sure if the PM went through. If anyone knows him, would you pls give him a heads up to read this thread? Would love to hear his thoughts since he's worked on this pump before......thx

Thanks for the responses. Haven't ruled out a new pump but still hoping to fix this one to get thru the season. Update: after taking it apart (mostly), I put it back together in the garage with all parts dry. I plugged it up just to see, and the impeller spun! Still super noisy but I think that is b/c the bearings are shot. Then I put it back together outside and hooked up the hoses, but did not let the water flow yet. Impeller was spinning and motor working. Then, I let the water in and figured i was good to go. Nope. Back to just the humming noise, and a slight burning smell. Any ideas why the impeller won't spin once water is added back in to the system? I know I probably need to replace the bearings - but don't want to waste time and money on bearings if the motor/ pump is shot. Thoughts?

If you are smelling a burnt smell I would guess that the motor is shot. It could possibly be the start capacitor if they have one. If you can open the motor up and look to see whats causing the smell and go from there. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.