Toronto, ON
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
If you look on Youtube you will see some videos on how to use either burning glue or a torch to soften up PVC pipe to remove it from a collar. You then use a screwdriver and pliers to get the softened pipe piece out.

Anyone have any advice on how hard this is and whether you are better off using the glue or torch method.

I need to do this, or something similar to replace a Jandy 1400 salt cell as the newer units have different sized unions - see this thread for more: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...-Aquapure-1400?p=706288&viewfull=1#post706288

Before I start to use something that can damage the part Im trying to salvage:

Is there enough pipe left on it that you can use a coupling for whatever more pipe you need?
Play with different sized pipes and connectors - can you atttach to the remaining pipe?

Note to all: ALWAYS leave a few inches of pipe on proprietary fittings; it makes re-use much easier.

If I HAD to remove the old stuff, call me chicken, but I'd just fire up a (bench) belt sander and grind it down. Much slower, mch more control.

Good luck!

This kind of thing can be done, but without experience you will often end up damaging the part you want to keep. If you want to try it, I strongly recommend practicing on some scrap PVC before trying the part that really matters.

I've done this several times without a problem. I've used a heat gun because burning plastic is not real pleasant. Trick is to heat up the fitting you're going to throw away, without conducting too much heat to the fitting you're saving, otherwise everything gets soft and the part you want to keep gets distorted. Kinda a matter of timing it right. Hold heat gun close to the plastic and move it around so the part you're removing is evenly heated and avoid directly heating the part you're keeping.

Most of the couplings for 2" PVC seem to go on the outside. Can you also use "inner" couplings where the two coupling pieces slide inside the 2" PVC tube? Or is this a bad idea as it will reduce the diameter of the pipe for the water flow? This would likely negate my need to remove the piece of old pipe.

An inner coupling is fine if you can find them, most places don't have them in stock. Since the pipe restriction they create is just for a very short distance it has very little effect on the water flow.

My local pool shop has gray 2 inch barbed couplers that look something like this, except that they have a raised section in the centre unlike the one in the photo:

InsertCoupling_2to2Inch_2.jpg

Can you use this type of coupler with white PVC pool piping? Or do you need the white couplers that look like this:

thumbnail.asp

I have had luck cutting the pipe close to the fitting then carefully cut a slit or 2 through the pipe but stop before you get to the coupling then a flat screw drive and break the pieces out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had luck cutting the pipe close to the fitting then carefully cut a slit or 2 through the pipe but stop before you get to the coupling then a flat screw drive and break the pieces out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've done the same thing with a wood chisel. Doubt I'd do it for an underground fitting, but when I can see it everyday it's not such a concern.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.